Door Locks Issue / Electrical - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Door Locks Issue / Electrical

It has rained in my area alot recently and dummy me, i had left the windows cracked. So the interior of my cobalt had some water in it, I didn't think it was that bad at first but now I am not sure.

The battery in the rear had moisture all around it but was not flooded. I dried it up as best as possible.

When I check the voltage on the system it comes back 12.2 on a fully charged battery or so I think, so I think there is a small short somewhere.

The main issue is both of the door panel lock and unlock features don't work. Also, strange wierdness the rotate mirrors don't work with the exception that they will go down but not left right or up ????

The doors totally lock and unlock when the remote fob is used. The security icon seems to flash alot more than I recall ??

I have had the ignition go out when trying to crank. I feel like its simply water somewhere or a blown fuse, but have no idea where to start, except the battery which I checked already and recharged.

I think water came in the main compartment and somehow flowed into the trunk (slight incline on driveway), possibly multiple issues ??

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by vb7prog; 01-14-2016 at 06:55 AM. Reason: added more input about remote working
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 07:16 AM
Expert

Garage
Yeah, those electric window panels are really sensitive to water. I think the general recommendation is to replace the panels and hope that fixes it.

Don't know about the other issues though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
You could also place your car in a nice warm garage for a few days, or pull the switch panels out and dry them out. Did this for a friend but I had to take each switch apart and clean them with alcohol.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I dried out the switches (about 20 mins in front of electric heater). Put them back one by one starting with the passenger side. I tested passenger side.... seemed to work. I put driver side in ... seemed to work. Screwed them down and went to close door and then they both weren't working.

They seem to work together ... fail together. The drying did seem to help.

Then I ran my car with heater on full blast for 30 minutes, nothing really seemed to come from that but it may have dried out car a little bit.

Fuse 26 looked like the ends were burnt a little bit, but the fuse looked intact.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 12:21 PM
Newcomer

Take your switches out for lock and unlock and check for corrosion on the contacts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode