Engine Won't Shut Off - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Engine Won't Shut Off

This morning I experienced the most bizarre problem I have ever had with a vehicle. I started my '10 Cobalt LS1 engine (cold, high 60s) and noticed that the running engine was making a loud clicking sound. After about 20 seconds of running the engine with the clicking noise I decided to turn the ignition off. However the engine did not stop, and remained on for about 5 minutes. This problem came a week after I took it to the dealer for a CEL problem, the diagnosis was bad Knock Sensor (of which I did not pay $400 to replace with included fuel injector cleaning service). To resolve the CEL myself, I decided to use Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner in a tank of 91 premium gasoline to see if a cleaning was actually needed. The vehicle has gone about half a tank without any issues, until today.

Back to the engine problem. With the ignition in the OFF position, the car sounded like it was dieseling (although not sure how since it was a cold engine, and also because its Fuel Injected). I was able to turn the ingition switch to ON (not START) and actually REV the engine on all firing cylinders. Turning it back to the OFF position prevented me from rev'ing the engine, and it slowed the rate of turn of the engine as well. After about 2-3 minutes the engine started turning over more slowly, about 1-2 revolutions per second, and then eventually died, as if the battery was dead.

I opened the front hood during this time and the engine was smoking (small, light plumes), and it smelled of heavy fuel. My guess is the heavy fuel smell was from the engine turning over without actually firing. I removed the 50A Fuse from the rear (this keeps the car from starting), came back about an hour later, plugged the 50A fuse back in and started the vehicle. I drove it for about 10 minutes on the highway with no noticeable issues.

I also have had 4 recalls serviced at this same dealership (3 last year, 1 this year). This includes the infamous ignition switch one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 11:33 PM
Expert

Well the LS for one does not need 91 octane, regular fuel and injector cleaner would have been fine, or seafoam. As far as the engine not shutting off properly, I don't know. It could have some thing to do with the fuel and injector cleaner. Has the problem happened more then once or just that one time?

2009 Imperial Blue Metallic Cobalt SS/TC Sedan - "Stock":
2008 Victory Red HHR SS - Stock
2005 Chili Pepper Red Ion Redline - Stock
2007 Sunburst Orange Metallic LS Coupe - Sold
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3_v1p3r View Post
Well the LS for one does not need 91 octane, regular fuel and injector cleaner would have been fine, or seafoam. As far as the engine not shutting off properly, I don't know. It could have some thing to do with the fuel and injector cleaner. Has the problem happened more then once or just that one time?
Today the 30A Crank fuse just blew and the engine won't start. This makes me think the problem with the engine is electrical, and that the electrical wire to the crank is short. Going to have to get this checked out (unless I can find a manual and trace the wire to the crank).

Thanks for the reply about the cleaner. I only used 91 because of the additives in premium gasoline to help boost the effectiveness of the fuel injector cleaner.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 08:11 PM
Initiate

If I were you i'd go to the dealership that did the ignition switch recall, most likely they messed something up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
cel , engine problems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode