Right Front Door Won't Open - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Right Front Door Won't Open

I tried posting this problem on a Saturn forum but I didn't get any responses. Saturn IONs and Cobalts (got one of those too) share DNA I thought I would try this forum. Got a 2007 4 door Ion with 112K miles and a stuck door. This happened once before to the drivers door. Lifting on the door handle while doing a body slam got it to open. Now the right front passenger door won't open. Tried the simultaneous body slam and outside door handle lift but it stays stuck. I was able to partially open up the door panel after I removed the front seat. I can get my hand inside the door cavity. The inside handle moves the rod connected to it. The same can be said for the outside door handle, outside door lock, and power door lock solenoid. The door latch must be broken or jammed.

I absolutely can't open the door! The only solution I can think of is to cut the striker bolted to the B-pillar with a Sawsall. If I open the back door it looks like I can get at the striker with a longer blade. Taking the door off at the hinges may help gain access to the striker also. I could try to pry the door open but I might mangle the B-pillar. I welcome any and all suggestions and comments. The Saturn guys weren't of any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Have you tried locking and unlocking with the knob vigorously?

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I tried flipping between lock and unlock with the key and power lock with no success. I tried spraying Liquid Wrench and PB Blaster into the latch at the striker opening on two separate occasions and let it soak. Door is still latched. I'm considering removing RF fender to unbolt the door at the hinges. I should then be able to get the interior door panel off. I would still need to somehow break loose the latch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode