Loud noise coming from front end - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Loud noise coming from front end

During the winter I developed this very annoying noise from my front end when I am turning the steering wheel while going <10 MPH. It almost sounds like a moose call of sorts and it is quite loud. The noise is louder when I turn right than when I turn left. The steering wheel isn't any harder to turn than normal, so I don't think it's coming from the electric steering assist. I think the noise is coming from the steering rack itself, what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Check if your inner fender isn't rubbing on the tire while turning.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

No rubbing unless I am at full lock lol, the sound comes on randomly but has been going on more so recently. I will also add there is what feels like a vibration/slight resistance on the front drive side when I hit 45 mph, but goes away after 50mph. The vibration is much louder if I am slightly turning at 45 as well.

Anyway back to the steering noise, I checked for wheel rub I am not getting any unless I am at full lock. I held the tie rod end through my rim as my friend turned the steering wheel for me and I felt it vibrate and creak as the steering wheel was turned.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 08:32 PM
Prospect

I'd start by lubing the front end if it has fittings, I know many OEM joints had no fittings but aftermarket ones did. Jack up the front end and then turn the steering wheel with no resistance on the wheels. You can also disconnect the steering links, jack the car up and turn the steering, if the box has issues, it may make noise, if not then turn each wheel and check for noise or resistance. Does the noise stop if when you turn the steering wheel and hold it turned? While the car is going around in a circle?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Yes the noise stops when I stop turning the steering wheel, the noise only comes on when the steering wheel is in motion. I will get out there today and see if I can lube up anything and see if that will help. Is there any fluid/grease in the steering rack? Or is it one modular unit that can't be lubed up?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 04:40 PM
Prospect

Steering noise

If you have the electric, should be sealed. Its probably lubed with some low density grease at the factory. I'd check all the steering as I said before, jacked up, may be rubbing somewhere. You can also pull the steering Circuit Breaker relay and drive it, steering will be hard at slow speeds but it will remove the electric motor part from it, worth a try.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 05:22 PM
Forum Regular

intermediate steering shaft maybe...mine is making noise ....it was replaced 3 times under warranty...waiting on GM to see if they will foot the bill for the fourth one as a 'goodwill" gesture since this piece of crap part is always failing even tough I think it should last a lot longer ( like the lifetime of the car )

good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode