Misfire Valve Job? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Misfire Valve Job?

So I am getting the P0301 I think is the code for Cylinder 1 Misfire. I have done the typical checks and decided to do a compression test. I found that cylinder 1 was about 100lbs short of the others. I've done alot of mechanic work in my years typically with V8's. I'm not afraid to dive in.

My question is how can I make sure that its nothing related to the piston and rings? Is there a compression test I could do with that as well?

Does it sound like I just need a valve job and thats it? I found a local reputable company that will clean the head/valves replace anything if it needs it for $130 + Parts if needed replaced. I just have to do the labor of taking it off of course.

I don't have as much experience with this size motor and overhead cam, but in effort to save me about $1,000 I'm going to take my shot. I'm looking at a haines manual possibly for reference. Does anyone know what gaskets/parts need replaced? I am going to do timing chain while I am at it. I'm 115k miles.

I guess my paranoia is wanting to make sure its strictly valve related. I can send this off to be machined get it back slap it back together and go down the road without worrying that I am going to drop a cylinder because it was actually rings. I hear most of the problem with this motor is carbon build up and thats why its lack of compression?

Please help ease my mind. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode