Timing chain tensioner and headgasket simultaneously? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Timing chain tensioner and headgasket simultaneously?

My car had the timing chain tensioner issue as well as a blown head gasket. My timing chain i believe i caught before the valves got bent. But as for the head gasket. Valves 5-8 in the front are lightly fouled. Im pretty sure there is coolant mixed in the oil. But it wasnt sludge as i had just had the oil changed a day or two before all this crap. So it still has alot of viscousity and still almost looks like oil haha. But i drive an 07 cobalt ls 2.2 lt 5 speed the messed up part is it only has 130k miles. I have the motor almost seperated will be trying to get that done today so i can at least check the valves and look for metal flakes and such. But MY QUESTION IS THIS. What else should i be looking for inside the motor to pretty much decide that its not worth the hassle. I just dont wanna sink some money into it just for something like a low end bearing spin out or something. So things you would decide for your self that the motor is trashed. Please and thank you haha asap. In my head if all i have to do is the timing chain and headgasket then id probably do it. But if this includes low end bearings reringing pistons then i probably wont lol. Just need a little guidance haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Looks like you caught it on time so you should be good.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 11:02 AM
Expert

Garage
Summoning @MP81 @Coby7 @rrob5382

I feel like you guys probably have some good ideas on what you'd ditch a motor for.

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

Classic Coby, showing up before he's even summoned, haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 11:41 AM
Cobalt Master

A hole in the side of the block would do it for me.. seriously though, like coby said it sounds like you caught it in time before it can do any damage. If your oil was still oil when you changed it and it just happened you should be fine. Just check everything you can while it's apart and change the oil and antifreeze afterwards
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Pretty sure im screwed lol just took the head off.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 02:04 PM
Cobalt Master

Why do you think you are screwed? Post up some pictures of the damage
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Sorry that was very undescriptive and my phone apparently isnt gonna let me post a pic atm. Water was sitting on top of 4. Cylinders 3 and 4 are a little rusted. All the pistons looks like crap. But the valves are fine lmfao.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 02:49 PM
Cobalt Master

If it's still sitting there at least the rings are sealing haha, I wouldn't necessarily write it off because there's a little water in there, that's bound to happen with a blown head gasket
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 09:44 AM
Newcomer

Kinda had the same problem I went and sucked the water out with shopvac sent head to shop got all new gaskets head bolts cleaned oil pan put all back together but my block was trash so swapped that for 75$(I know good price) total cost for rebuild was only 300$ did it in my driveway just keep the cylinders coated with wd40 and that was my first time inside an engine now it runs like new I impressed myself.hope yours goes just as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode