Oil leak - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Oil leak

I have done the chains guides tensioner oil pump and a bunch of other stuff. I have started to note an oil path from the drain plug to the corner of the block (passenger side rear corner). I just got done readinga post by Colby, someone who gives good advice. He says that these engines (2.2 L ecotec) dont leak oil unless you crack the pan. There are no signs of damage to the oil pan, however when i tighten the 2 loose bolts, which are just by the oil pickup in the pan, the leak and sometime cold start cam chain tensioner noise go away. The first time I tighten the 2 bolts I thought the problem was solved. I THOUGHT the problem was solved but after reading Colbys post it seems like I have an oil pan thats warped or worse one that has a crack?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If by Colby you mean me, you have to take what was written by me in context. I'm not saying they never leak, but rather that they are not known to have this problem, unlike the old 350s. Anything can happen, gaskets can fail, you can bend without breaking and oil pan even though it is cast and will sooner crack than bend. The oil drain plug has a gasket that should occasionally be replaced. Other components can also fail like oil pressure sensors, cam sensors crank sensors and many more seals that can seep. I'm no wizard and no mechanic just a guy that enjoys helping people whenever I can if I can.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode