Odd unknown brake fluid leak - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Odd unknown brake fluid leak

Anyone had a brake fluid going low yet no sign of a brake fluid leak anywhere? Any ideas where it could be going? 2008 Cobalt LT. Wife said brake fluid light came on. Checked reservoir and it was indeed very low. I refilled it. Pressed the brakes and held. Pressure was good. No noises or signs of leaking. Then a couple months down the road and same thing happened. Checked reservoir and fluid almost gone again. At this point I assumed it was a rear brake drum wheel cylinder leaking slowly. I disassembled both brake drums to find both cylinders perfect and not leaking (I had already replaced one of them a couple years prior). Boots good. No leaks at all and no signs of previous leaks or any fluid at all. Traced brake lines, all in perfect condition. Checked connections at front calipers etc. All perfect. Any ideas where the fluid is going that is leaving no sign of a leak at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 07:21 PM
Prospect

Doesn't the clutch hydraulic system use the brake fluid? I've heard the clutch slave cylinder can leak and is a pain to fix, gotta drop the tranny. I'm not looking forward to that repair...I regularly put in fresh fluid by bleeding and/or turkey baster, hopefully it's putting this job off a couple years. If you've got a standard transmission that might be your culprit, look for leaking from the bottom of the tranny bell housing.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Yikes! That would be unfortunate. Though I have not noticed any leaks/fluids there either. I was under there not long ago and pulled the trans pan, replaced the trans filter and removed the magnet and replaced with two stronger magnets (per tsb) and replaced the trans fluid. Everything appeared clean and perfect. That's why this was so confusing to me.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 04:23 AM
Contributor

Garage
ive had this issue as well but what if you dont have a manual trans then where else would it go? i notice every couple months it gets low and the light comes on when i make a hard corner or i put G force on the car lol.

The Land Shark is coming for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
His iron was too hot and to big.
Bone stock 2006 Cobalt LS Laser Blue

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...ml#post1340434
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 05:55 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If you have an auto, there won't be any use of brake fluid there.

If you have a leak - you'd definitely find it if it's near any painted surfaces - as it'll take the paint right off.

I had the Cav piss out all the brake fluid once, and never leak it again. Could've been one of the calipers I replaced, though.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode