06 SS SC Radiator Fans and Horn Run Non Stop - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

06 SS SC Radiator Fans and Horn Run Non Stop

OK so long story short, I just bought a 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged that was driven though a flooded road til it stopped running in the middle of the road. After that, it was towed to the previous owner's house where it sat for a whole year without any maintenance.

I bought the car knowing it was going to need a new engine, but before I give up on the original 2.0 LSJ entirely, I wanted to see if I could get the motor loose and maybe see if it was salvageable.

The problem I'm having first of all, is that the car sat without a battery for the past year. Now that I try to connect a new battery, I've been having hard sparks and strange symptoms of shorting wires. I've traced down the wires as best I can and nothing seems to be shorting anywhere tho.

No fuses blown or bad relays. I disconnected the starter and reconnected the battery to find that it's no longer arking on the battery connections, but now the radiator fans kick on and the horn blares whenever the power is connected. No interior lights or gauges work. Only headlights, taillight, radiator fans and horn power on to a full on state even without the key in the ignition.

WHERE DO I EVEN START???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I would start by removing the underhood fuseblock, then reconnect one connector at a time until you connect the one giving you trouble. There's 7 connectors going to it and all are going to different areas of the car. I think this would be a good place to start.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 06-03-2016 at 04:36 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

OK so thanks for that info! I found the fuse panel in the passenger side of the console and found my 20amp fuse labeled "amp" and the 15amp fuse for the radio both blown. I replaced them and then I connected the battery again with the same symptoms as before and then I checked on the fuses to find they blew again. Where should I look for the shorting connection now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode