Power Steering Delete? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Power Steering Delete?

2007 Chevy Cobalt LT, coupe.

Is it possible to delete the powering steering in this car? Why? Well basically, the car came from a used car sales lot, the power steering started having problems, chevy dealer said it had already had the recall done, so just bought it from the dealer, installed it, problem went away, but now acting up again.

So just wondering if it would be possible to just unplug the thing, and still be drive able, have no problems with the computer? Would the car still start and drive, with only it being a little bit hard to turn?

Thoughts, anyone do this before?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 09:39 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
It's doable, sure, but I'm not sure you'd want to.

Back when cars had the option of manual or power steering, the whole steering rack was different between the two - the manual rack is lighter since it doesn't have the power steering fluid helping you - which made it easier to turn compared to a power rack, without fluid, or with the pump not running.

Since the motor assists up by the steering wheel, the rack wouldn't be any different if the car were offered without it - but the motor being there will still cause some resistance when turning the wheel, though that is really only noticeable at low speeds.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Yeah I guess maybe just try it and see how it is. It is my sisters car, that my dad got her and asked me to look online to see what could be done, unplug the thing or take it out. He doesn't care that it will be a bit harder to turn lol but I'm sure my sister will but shes only 18 and still at home using this car to go to school so doesn't really have a choice XD He said it beats having to waste money replacing the thing if this is something that this car has problems with, power steering.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Don't you guys like your sister? I believe you will be putting her life in danger without steering assist. What is it doing actually or not doing, any codes? There were some failures in 05 and a bit in 06 but later years are not know for steering assist failures. Are you sure it's not the intermediate shaft seizing up on her?

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 11:14 AM
Cobalt Master

I'm with coby on this one, if it's going through them like that there has to be some other problem going on.

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

What exactly are the problems it's having with the steering anyways, unless I missed it I don't think you actually stated the problem. If you want to try and remove things like that on your own vehicle that's one thing, although I would still advise against it. Don't go forcing "fixes" like that on other people that may or may not be able to actually handle it though... I'm sure you would feel terrible if she got into a bad accident just because you took the easy way out
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

The first time around, it would get hard to turn and lock up. Looked it up online and said that these cars had power steering recall. Called the dealer to check the vin to see if it had been done. It had. They said eveything got replaced. and that it might just be the little electric motor going out. My dad bought it from them, installed it, and the problem went away. Same thing is starting to happen. Light coming on and getting harder to turn. Steering wheel hasn't locked up yet.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 11:41 AM
Cobalt Master

How long has it been since the last time you replaced it?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Check the intermediate shaft.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Maybe a year, more or less. I can't remember, I would have to ask my dad to be sure as I'm sure he would still have the receipt somewhere around to look at the date of when he bought it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 06:09 PM
Forum Regular

I had an issue with my steering wheel being hard to turn, and it wouldn't return to center after making a turn and letting the wheel go. I would go with what Coby7 says and check the intermediate steering shaft. Pretty quick to do. Just pop the hood and look where the steering column comes out of the firewall on the driver side of the engine. If it is corroded or looks pretty worn, it is time to replace it. It will show corrosion and wear at the joint in the middle of the shaft. I would imagine that if your steering motor is indeed bad, it may be because it is fighting a binding intermediate shaft. If you spray the joint down on the middle of the shaft with WD40 and the car gets easier to turn, you know that is probably at least some, if not all of your problem. I did that as a temp fix on my car and got about 2000 miles out of it before I got around to replacing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode