Grinding Noise When in Drive - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Grinding Noise When in Drive

Good Morning,

I have sifted through the forums this morning in an attempt to solve my problem but I was unsuccessful.

2010 2dr LT 2.2 Automatic trans 100k on it

Out of warranty

Three days ago I start hearing a low grinding noise that is purely rotational related but low in volume. Yesterday, the noise was louder. Today on my way to work it has gotten deeper and louder. This noise is coming from the middle to passenger side of the car

When the car is turned on but not moving the noise does not exist. When I am coasting in neutral the noise is still there. I do not think it's the transmission because the noise is unaffected through gear shifting and when I put it in neutral while coasting down the road.

Here's what I know from my brother in law (the mechanical one).

We had the tires off of both sides of the car and checked the assemblies for anything loose or moving that shouldn't have been. According to him, all of that feels ok. Wheel bearings are good on both sides. We then turned the wheels while the front end was off the ground and could hear the noise that I spoke of just not as loud because obviously we can only spin the tires so fast. It is definitely coming from the passenger side area by the front wheel but not as far at the wheel bearing. I did read something about the CV joint possibly being the issue. Is there a way to check this? It seems like the noise is more centrally located but yet on the passenger side. If it is not the CV joint, what could it be? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 06:18 PM
Forum Regular

Any change in the noise when you turn the car, going either in forward or reverse, especially when you turn the car at one of the stops? (like backing out of a garage and turning the wheel all the way in one direction) Just replaced a CV in my Subaru. Making a nasty grinding metal on metal noise when turning.

I had more of a humming / growling noise on the front drivers side of my cobalt a while ago. As time passed, it got quite a bit louder. It was the wheel bearing, so I changed it when I replaced the suspension.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

I actually don't have any change in the noise when turning or changing gears. I cannot hear it at low speeds or in reverse because I am not going fast enough. I have deduced that it is NOT the CV joint (half shaft) or the wheel bearing. It truly feels and sounds like it is coming from the transmission.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Might be an exit bearing. For some reason unknown the passenger side seems to fail more often than the driver's side. This usually sounds like a scrapping noise but if it sounds like when your sitting in the back of a jet then this is a wheel bearing. Really hard to even tell if it's the right or left. Best way to diagnose is put car on a lift and listen with a mechanic's stethoscope as to where the noise is coming from.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

If only I had the tools coby. I have called around to have the car diagnosed and it cost around 60 bucks no matter where I go. It seems that, at this point, I have no other choice in figuring it out.

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

I really sounds like it it is coming from the transmission. Would it be helpful if I tried to record the noise and post here?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 08:52 AM
Forum Regular

Had that last year. Could have sworn it was coming from the right side of the tranny..the output seal on the right side is 'weaping' and the area is wet but not really leaking.
I jacked the front end and was able to pinpoint where the noise was coming from using a large screwdriver as a stethoscope...turns out it was the left wheel bearing. Good luck
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

I will take a look at the left wheel bearing tonight. I don't notice any difference in sound when swerving left and right while driving though. It's hard to tell though with all of the road noise added to it. What is the best way that you guys check the wheel bearings?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 11:13 AM
Contributor

Garage
well considering these cars are known to have issues with the wheel hubs i would check those first, the only indication i found on my last pair were that they were ever so slightly squeezing grease out the back facing toward the trans, so first i would check that. ive replaced at least 4 hubs on my car in 4 years.

The Land Shark is coming for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
His iron was too hot and to big.
Bone stock 2006 Cobalt LS Laser Blue

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...ml#post1340434
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Update:

The transmission went out. I was driving and all of a sudden the vehicle began to shake and then I have no drive. I pull over and realize I also have no reverse and when I put it in park I very loud grinding noise ensued. The car can be moved as if it were in neutral while it is in park. I discovered this when my buddy was helping me move it across the driveway. I can not imagine it being anything other than the transmission at this point and now am looking into getting one. I will be scavenging through the forums for tips, tricks, and tutorials as to how to do this. I have two mechanically inclined friends with tools at least one of the two is planning to help me out. Thanks for all the feedback. I wish it were just a wheel bearing.....
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Broke an axle by the sounds of it.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode