2007 Cobalt Engine Cradle - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

2007 Cobalt Engine Cradle

So, I just took my wive's 07 cobalt into the shop just to have it looked at before I do some work done on it. Before I bought the car about 9 months ago, I knew it was totalled out. So, they pointed out that they can't do an alignment because the engine cradle is bent, up against the engine, and what not. Basically; I need a new one. As well as rotor mounts I believe. They quoted me at $800..ish (The cradle being used from a junkyard of course.) That's with 3 hours of labor and what not. I would love to bring that price down, how much of that could I do on my own without having means to lift the car up into the air. They were saying it's pretty serious; and should be replaced before anything. Any help, or pointers are appreciated.

Thanks,
Rush
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Well you need to have the car on a lift to change the cradle and motor mounts. $800 might be a little steep but maybe they saved themselves room in case something else pops up.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 03:10 PM
Cobalt Master

800 seems about right for paying a shop to do it, but if you don't have the means to completely change it yourself I wouldn't recommend even trying to start on any of it. It's not a hard job but it does take a lot of time and patience. I changed one on a malibu last week just on jack stands and it is doable without a lift but it's not fun at all..
By the way the Malibu that I swapped engine cradles on was also quoted 800 for the job, picked up one from a junkyard for 90 and spent about 5 hours total on my back on the concrete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode