2008 Cobalt Ls Xfe Fuel Efficiency Problem/ Check Engine - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

2008 Cobalt Ls Xfe Fuel Efficiency Problem/ Check Engine

So, New to the forums :o i just bought myself a nice little 2008 cobalt only 102k miles on it for a steal nothing wrong with it but since i got it from the lot there has been a check engine light. i took it to advanced and autozone and they both said its a fuel efficiency code and to just use higher octane gas and c-foam. when i asked the specific code they didn't tell me so im at a loss... i'm about to go on a road trip tomorrow (dolly wood) and it has been EATING gasoline like crazy, i have been using 87 octane and only drove a little bit and it keeps going empty :/ any help would be great! When i was looking over his shoulder it said something like cata efficiency?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
HOČ sensors or you have a plugged CAT. Next time specify to them that you need the specific codes or get yourself a bluetooth reader and the Torque APP and read them yourself. Doesn't have to be this one but a similar one, just make sure it can read GMs.

ELM327 Car OBD2 CAN BUS Scanner Tool with Bluetooth Function - US$6.99

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 06-23-2016 at 08:43 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 07:35 AM
Expert

Garage
"cata efficiency" probably refers to the catalytic converter not working properly. You might need a new cat. If you do, and want to save some money by doing it yourself, I've got a whole downpipe I could sell ya fairly cheap. It'd be easier than welding in a new cat.

Also, before you go replacing anything, find out exactly what that code is. I got one of these scanners from Amazon for $14.

EDIT: I think the XFE was only available in a manual, which means my downpipe wouldn't work for ya. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...

Last edited by Parthros; 06-24-2016 at 08:58 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Talking

Yeah im going to get me a ob2 reader i think first if its the cata i plan on doing a full cataback exaust with a flowmaster exhaust, when it comes to exaust work i usually just get that at a shop. Also was curious any of you have the k&n Cold air intake, i plan on getting that and some window tint all asap
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 06:15 AM
Contributor

Garage
just take the pipe off at the cat and stick a broom handle in there and unclog it yourself, youll be fine just make sure you get all the stuff out of it!!

j/k dont do that lol, id just go with a new downpipe and just bolt that bad boy in.

The Land Shark is coming for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
His iron was too hot and to big.
Bone stock 2006 Cobalt LS Laser Blue

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...ml#post1340434
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 08:02 AM
Expert

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeforeDeth View Post
Yeah im going to get me a ob2 reader i think first if its the cata i plan on doing a full cataback exaust with a flowmaster exhaust, when it comes to exaust work i usually just get that at a shop. Also was curious any of you have the k&n Cold air intake, i plan on getting that and some window tint all asap
I've got a K&N short ram on mine right now. I really like the way it makes it sound throatier. It might be up for sale in the next month or two since I'm switching to a supercharger and won't need it any more.

For the catback, that's different piping than the piece that has the cat in it, so you'll still need to replace the downpipe. If you want to make power, then you might as well do a full exhaust. General recommendation is ZZP midlength header & downpipe with the 2.5" ZZP catback, although a Magnaflow catback would probably be great as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

i had a magnaflow cat back on my 97 vw jetta trek until i flipped it in a terrible car wreck and now i got this bad boy i was on the highway with a Ferrari yesterday side by side could only push 115 and he took off i swair 200 mph easy >.< saw those brimbo breaks and gave him the thumbs up lol.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Just went to advanced and wrote it down this time its a p0420 code catalyst system efficiency below threshold, i also noticed if im trying to give the car a little power being over 4k rpm it bogs down and kinds revs up and down i assume from this issue :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
help fuel economy xfe

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode