Leak at Exhaust Manifold and Downpipe Connection - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Leak at Exhaust Manifold and Downpipe Connection

I just bought my 05 Cobalt from a friend a few weeks ago and I actually knew it had this problem when I got it, but that didn't stop me from buying it.

It's pretty loud when driving presumably due to this leak. I can also smell the exhaust inside the car sometimes. When I put my hand where the exhaust manifold connects to the downpipe, I can feel exhaust coming out when it's running. I took the heat shield off to inspect the manifold and I couldn't find any cracks in it so I don't believe it's the manifold itself.

My first question is would it be easy to replace the gasket where the manifold connects to the downpipe? I found this on Amazon, pretty sure this is the gasket for it: https://www.amazon.com/Walker-31643-..._cd_al_qh_dp_t

It looks like it would just require removing the three bolts and replacing the gasket but I'm new to all this so I just want to make sure I can do this before taking it apart and then finding out there's something I missed.

My second question is would a leak like this cause O2 sensor codes? I don't have the exact codes on hand right now, but I believe it has an O2 sensor code. At first I was thinking about getting the sensor(s) replaced but I was reading and it looks like this could be caused by the leak and not by the sensors themselves.

And one more question... I keep seeing things about torque specs for bolts. How do I ensure I tighten a bolt to the correct torque? I have basic tools like sockets and stuff but I don't know how I would tell what the torque the bolt is. Sorry about the newb question haha.

-Nathan

Edit: I just found out about the bolt torque spec stuff -- have to get a torque wrench! (youtube.com/watch?v=5XzKvEnk1FY)

Last edited by nathan815; 06-22-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 05:41 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Sometimes I use a sheet of paper to see if there is a sizeable exhaust leak coming out, since it should make the paper flap.

Yes, that is the correct downpipe to manifold gasket.

A leak shouldn't cause any kind of O2 sensor code unless it's absolutely massive. Worth double checking what the actual code is and posting it here before doing anything.

You'll need a torque wrench to ensure bolts are torqued to spec. Just make sure to get one that isn't a piece of shit (look at reviews).

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
Sometimes I use a sheet of paper to see if there is a sizeable exhaust leak coming out, since it should make the paper flap.

Yes, that is the correct downpipe to manifold gasket.

A leak shouldn't cause any kind of O2 sensor code unless it's absolutely massive. Worth double checking what the actual code is and posting it here before doing anything.

You'll need a torque wrench to ensure bolts are torqued to spec. Just make sure to get one that isn't a piece of shit (look at reviews).

Thank you! I will get a torque wrench and that gasket and do it then. Do you know where I would find out the torque spec for that part of the exhaust?

And okay, I thought (and was hoping) it could be caused by the exhaust leak. There is a good amount of air coming out of the leak, but it isn't absolutely massive. I will find out what the code is and post it here.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 03:21 AM
Staff Alumni

A lot of times that flange on the downpipe rots off and won't allow you to bolt it back up. That's why I left mine alone.

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 05:07 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by money_man View Post
A lot of times that flange on the downpipe rots off and won't allow you to bolt it back up. That's why I left mine alone.
Perfect time to upgrade the downpipe!

That said - mine never rusted off prior to removing it.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 05:28 AM
Contributor

Garage
yeah you might want to check the actual flexpipe for damage as well, the original accordion style likes to rot out and might not be noticeable at first. those are fairly cheap and easy to replace but if your going to go that route you might as well get a new downpipe so if you want to upgrade later part of the job is already done, ZZP makes a good replacement flexpipe and great exhaust kits.

The Land Shark is coming for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
His iron was too hot and to big.
Bone stock 2006 Cobalt LS Laser Blue

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...ml#post1340434
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_man View Post
yeah you might want to check the actual flexpipe for damage as well, the original accordion style likes to rot out and might not be noticeable at first. those are fairly cheap and easy to replace but if your going to go that route you might as well get a new downpipe so if you want to upgrade later part of the job is already done, ZZP makes a good replacement flexpipe and great exhaust kits.
Would replacing the downpipe be super expensive? Because I don't have enough money for big changes at the moment, unfortunately. That would be a nice upgrade eventually though.

If the flex pipe is broken, I'll just get the flex pipe replacement and have a muffler shop weld it on for me, then I won't have to bother with replacing the gasket myself (getting the rusted bolts out would probably be the hardest part).

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 05:59 AM
Say What again!

Garage
If your car is a manual, you can run an LSJ (SS/SC) downpipe, which is a little bit of an increase - but at a budget-friendly price, since they're widely available used.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 04:54 AM
Contributor

Garage
as long as you use a little heat and maybe some PB blaster you should be fine with the exhaust bolts, mine were pretty bad and they came loose just fine. like MP81 said its not hard to find one used, you should be ok.

The Land Shark is coming for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
His iron was too hot and to big.
Bone stock 2006 Cobalt LS Laser Blue

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...ml#post1340434
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
Hey, I found out the error codes:

P0135 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit

P0449 - Evaporative Emission System Vent Valve/Solenoid Circuit

(Freeze Frame 2AA1)

http://imgur.com/mgA1wuI

So I guess this means the O2 sensor probably needs to be replaced? And I wonder what is causing the other code?

I haven't fixed the leak yet, but I checked again and there is quite a lot of air coming out of it, all around the flange connection (doesn't seem to be the flexpipe). It's as if there isn't a gasket there. I need to fix that.

Last edited by nathan815; 07-10-2016 at 08:17 PM. Reason: added OBD screenshot link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode