Help with Check Engine Lights! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Help with Check Engine Lights!

Hey all! This is my first post so I am not sure if it is in the right forum or if anyone will be able to help me. I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt and my check engine light recently came on. I let it go for a few weeks because I was told it was an O2 sensor and not a big deal. I got it checked at autozone and was given the following codes:

P0961 - P0030 - P0106 - P0300 - P0455 - P0446

Recently my car has been shifting hard from a stop to moving, and occasionally when speeding up while driving. My RPM goes up and down while driving, it seems to be worse when it is hot outside. Also when pumping gas the pump will stop every $0.50 or so. I just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas on what would be causing all of this so I can start fixing it. I already looked up the codes, but I do not know much about cars so it does not really help.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
P0961 Line Pressure Control (PC) Solenoid System Performance TCM
P0030 HO2S Heater Control Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0106 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)
P0446 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction

Well, I think you need a bit of maintenance be done to your poor 06. The last 2 codes and the fact that you're having a hard time filling your tank leads me to believe that your EVAP solenoid is stuck close, so check the wiring or replace it if it's bad.

P0030, P0106 and the P0300 points to the downstream HOČ and possibly a well needed tune-up (Spark plugs,throttle body cleaning, MAP & MAF sensor cleaning and new air filter)

Now the first code P0961 this one might be a side effect of a bad running engine so I recommend after doing the above maintenance to clear the codes and try it out to see how it performs, if the P0961 code comes back then we will address it at that time.

So expect the need to purchase:

Evap solenoid
4 spark plugs
air filter
Downstream HOČ (The one before the cat )

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Okay thank you! I forgot to mention before I checked these codes my fuel pump had a crack and was leaking gas. I replaced that along with fuel lines and haven't reset the codes. Could any be from that? And how do I reset them?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

The gas pumping being difficult only happens sometimes. I would say 50% of the time it is fine.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 06:57 AM
Expert

Garage
This thread'll help with all the CEL codes.

Might be related? You can purchase an inexpensive code reader off Amazon to clear them, but they'll pop back up if the underlying issue wasn't fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
You can also disconnect the battery for 20 minutes. But if you get the parts replaced, should be less than $200, the mechanic can then clear all codes and then the waiting game begins to see if any codes will pop up. You will find your Cobalt harder on fuel if you don't replace the HOČ.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Okay so far I changed my oil and oil filter, changed air filter, and changed my spark plugs. I ordered a downstream o2 sensor, which just got here today, and while looking up how to install it I read that bank 1 sensor 1 would be upstream. Is this correct and do you know if the upstream and downstream are the same length? Thank you! BTW it is running much better with the little bit I have done so far, but it's still not completely normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
codes , engine , help chevy going crazy , mechanical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode