Secondary Air Injection Issues - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Secondary Air Injection Issues

Model: 2008 Chevy Cobalt LT
Milage: 88,000
Codes:
-P0441: Secondary Air Injection System, Insufficient Air Flow Detected
-P0651: Sensor Reference Voltage B Circuit/Open

The first code used to only come on in the winter any time below freezing (assuming it was getting stuck open or closed) and would go away once it got warmer outside. After this past winter, it's stayed on all the time. Unfortunately, around the spring time I started having an issue where I would start the car and within seconds it would go into "Engine Power Reduced" mode and start shuttering, and that's when second code would appear.

It only goes into Engine Power Reduced mode on the occasional cold-start, which I'd assume could be linked to the first code when the Secondary Air Injection system runs. Basically, if the Engine Power Reduced mode doesn't happen within the first 30 seconds of a cold-start, it doesn't happen.

Do you think this could be as simple as replacing the Secondary Air Flow Injection system, or do you think this might be a much deeper problem? Any suggestions or troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I would check for a burnt fuse for P0651, I believe it's a 15 amp called air solenoid.

As for the Po441 check for kinks splits or obstructions.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
I would check for a burnt fuse for P0651, I believe it's a 15 amp called air solenoid.

As for the Po441 check for kinks splits or obstructions.
I checked the fuses but they appear to be in good condition, definitely not burnt out yet. I can try replacing them anyways!

As for the second code, do you think it may not be the air injection system itself, but rather the lines and hoses and whatnot? Sorry if that's a dumb question!

Thanks for the help regardless!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
P0651 tells you that you have a missing voltage at the sensor so if isn't a fuse it must be a broken wire or a bad contact, which may be the whole source of your problem. If the sensor isn't getting voltage the pump won't work.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
P0651 tells you that you have a missing voltage at the sensor so if isn't a fuse it must be a broken wire or a bad contact, which may be the whole source of your problem. If the sensor isn't getting voltage the pump won't work.
Thanks again for the quick responses and help! That is where this whole thing gets confusing... I can hear the pump activate for up to 30 seconds on every cold Start, but it seems to be completely random on whether or not it shorts out and throws the car into Engine Power Reduced mode. Do you think this could be more of an electrical issue rather than the pump just being faulty? I plan to buy a cheap used pump this weekend at the scrap yard just for testing purposes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread