Strange power lock issue. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Strange power lock issue.

Hello,

Bought the wife a 2007 cobalt LT 2.2 from day one the remote would never unlock the door, only lock it. We figured it just needed to be programmed properly. Naturally I tried to reprogram the remote inside the car using the manual power lock buttons on the doors and here is where it gets weird.

The power lock buttons do not work on either passenger or driver doors(2 door) there is literally no response when pushing lock or unlco. I decided to check the fuses but they were fine. I even replaced them just in case. It's worth mentioning that the trunk cannot be opened from inside with the button inside the car.

Putting the car in drive will lock the doors automatically. Putting the car in park unlocks the doors automatically as intended.

So to sum up my thoughts. Fuses are fine. The power locks are working when car is put in drive and unlock when in park sounds like it's not a motor. So somewhere in between something is not working properly. I read that it could be the BCM but I figured that it would work or not work not just work partially. If anything maybe it would be sporadic. Also the car came with one key and one remote, we are unsure if the remote is the original.

Anybody have any thoughts or insight on this issue? I figured someone here could maybe have an idea of what exactly could be going on.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Well I deal with this all the time. First of all the door switches in the Cobalt are Dorman switches and pretty cheap.. These are very prone to corrosion so I wouldn't be surprised if both were bad. The switch for the trunk is also very cheap and often the back falls out. The 2007 Cobalt came with 2 different FOBs depending if you had remote start or not. GM#22733524 with and GM#15252034 without. It is not your BCM for sure because it's what locks and unlocks your doors when you move the shifting lever. Lastly the button pads in the FOBs has carbon conductor when you depress the button. If the icons are wore off on the top of the buttons you can be sure the carbon is wore off of the bottom. Here is a DIY I wrote about repairing the FOBs.

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/ele...r-key-fob.html

Are you Canadian or Americain?

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 08-03-2016 at 05:46 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks for the quick response Coby7.

And to answer your question, Canadian.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Ok, PM me if you can't resolve your FOB issue, I have all the parts to fix these and it only cost $2 to ship by mail.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode