Car Won't Crank - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Coby7
  • 1 Post By Coby7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Car Won't Crank

I have an 09 G5 (figured I'd post in here and get more of a response) that had a bad transmission. So I replaced the trans and hooked everything back up.

I went to start it tonight and it won't crank. All the lights go off like it's a bad ground or something. When I turn the key on I hear the fuel pump prime and everything seems ok. It seems like I can hear the starter solenoid make a noise but I'm not sure.

I did have a ground wire on the drivers side that I wasn't sure where it went. I tried different spots but assumed it went on the trans because there is a bolt there that another part of the wiring harness bolts to.

But that brings me to the starter wiring. I'm a little confused if I have it right now or not. There is a plug coming from the wiring harness I know that's right. After that I have the positive wire from the fuse panel and then a wire from the alternator and that's it. There was another wire that is close to that, but I assumed it was a ground, which is on the trans in the same place as the above big ground I was talking about. I can get pics but won't be till tomorrow.

I'm just at a loss of why it won't start. I charged the battery but also have the battery charge hooked up to it while trying to start.

---------- Post added at 04:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 AM ----------

Also I want to add that the button on the shift knob feels weird and won't really push it. It also stuck in park.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 06:36 AM
Expert

Garage
@Coby7 I'm guessing something with the lockout whatchamacallit? You posted a picture of it somewhere recently. Might be helpful here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
The stud at the engine and transmission junction is suppose to have to ground wires at that point.

Parthros likes this.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thank you. I did some googling this morning and found those images. That's where I have both wires so I think my grounds are good. I guess I can try cleaning them just to make sure that's not it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Check all fuses including the 50 amp BCM fuse in the trunk.
Parthros likes this.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Check all fuses including the 50 amp BCM fuse in the trunk.
Thanks I'll give it a look and see. So I got to thinking could it be the neutral safety switch? Isn't that the sensor where the shift linkage connects to? Could there be a chance that it's bad, or a chance that I moved it around by hand and it's not actually in park?

On that if I push it towards the back of the car is that park, or would park be if I pulled it towards the front of the car?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
You can move the shifter without the key in if you lift the center console cover and move the lock mechanism by hand.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thank you for you replys they've been helpful. So apparently I'm an idiot. I came home with the neutral safety switch in my head and went to the linkage. I pushed it and it clicked back another spot. After that the car started. So it was my fault and the car was in reverse the entire time so no wonder it wouldn't start.

So now I'm good it starts and the trans seems to shift out ok. Throwing some crazy check engine codes PO030, PO036, PO055, C342D, and C3064. But it def needs a new battery this one is shot. So the plan is to get a new one and to check all my fuses and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode