Front End Rattle - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Front End Rattle

I've been having trouble finding out what is causing this rattling noise coming from the front end of my 06 Cobalt LS. It happens primarily when I go over bumps, but can also be heard even on smooth roads when at higher speeds (>45mph). It almost sounds like plastic hitting plastic.

I have a video of it, hopefully it helps. Sorry about the bad audio quality, my phone isn't the best.

https://youtu.be/oJD-MgXX_kA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 04:33 AM
Forum Regular

My 06 had a front end noise that was hard to diagnose. Turns out it was the rack and pinion. After listening to that noise for almost a year (and replacing muliple front end parts), I started to feel the steering stiffen up intermittently.Car now drives like brand new after installing the new rack which is fairly easy to replace.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Have you tried changing the swaybar bushings?

***Notice on the box it says ''Assembled in USA'' lol, it's 2 rubber bushings made in Canada in a box printed in USA.***

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 08-28-2016 at 05:14 AM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl1000 View Post
My 06 had a front end noise that was hard to diagnose. Turns out it was the rack and pinion. After listening to that noise for almost a year (and replacing muliple front end parts), I started to feel the steering stiffen up intermittently.Car now drives like brand new after installing the new rack which is fairly easy to replace.
I haven't checked my rack and pinion, but that seems to be more of a deep "clunk" noise. The noise coming from my front end is more of a high pitched "clack". Plus this noise happens whether or not I'm steering, and as far as I can tell, steering doesn't cause any noises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Have you tried changing the swaybar bushings?

***Notice on the box it says ''Assembled in USA'' lol, it's 2 rubber bushings made in Canada in a box printed in USA.***
Lol anything to sell your product, right?

Anyway, I haven't tried that either, but again, I've researched this issue and it seems to make a low pitched "clunk" noise, while my cobalt makes a high pitched "clack" noise.

My cobalt does have some clunking, but I believe that is from the shocks, which I am going to replace soon. Since I'll already be in that area I think I'll go ahead and change out the swaybar bushings as well since they're so cheap. So thanks for the info!

To give some more information, it seems like the noise is coming from around the front bumper area. I'll see if I can get a video from the outside today to help find the problem.

Last edited by Kilerbomb; 08-28-2016 at 09:27 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 12:06 PM
Forum Regular

Did not matter if I was turning or going straight, the noise was there intermitently...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode