Help Process of Engine Rebuild on Really Small Budget - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Coby7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Help Process of Engine Rebuild on Really Small Budget

hello all needing some help i have a 09 cobalt ls 2.2l ecotec with the vvt i have been all over the place searching for the pistons i need for this car bot a year ago i hit a big pothole and it cracked the oil pan all the oil wen out and well the rest is pretty easy to guess i replaced the crank and bearings in bottom end bot half a year ago but couldnt get my baby to run right so finally pulled off my head to find i was missing a piece of my number 4 piston to the point the rings were exposed from the top and my number 1 piston was a little loose my number 4 after pulling out found that the whole side is melted i need some help i cannot find the regular pistons to this car or even wat seem to be a cheap replacement im not looking to go balls out hp maybe just a turbo later down the road i just want me and my wifes girl to run again the way she did before can i get some guidance on where i can find pistons for this thing everything i find only goes to 08 or is 400 dollars also was having issue with rpm not working after i put motor back in the first time can someone tell me why ???

Last edited by keithhack77; 09-16-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Why don't you get a junkyard engine with low miles. Save yourself a lot of headaches and more problems later. They go for 400-500 dollars. If you have piston damage like you say head is probably toast.
keithhack77 likes this.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

unfortunantly the closest junkyard that has a engine wants 800 for it and the nearest junkyard i could find it cheap is well over 200 miles away what am i looking at on the head bent valves and what else cuz my uncle was wanting to send it to a shop and have them machine it oh also not tht it should matter too much i had only 53000 on the car when it met my big friend the hole also i cant use anything besides a 09 or 10 engine right since i have the vvt and im already hurting a bit i didnt know the pistons were that bad so i went through my second set of bearings and a second crankshaft this one im shure can be salvaged im not shure bot the original it was in bad shape also could anyone tell me why when i had put this engine back in the rpm wouldnt work and i kept getting a bad crank sensor even after replacing the sensor

Last edited by keithhack77; 09-16-2016 at 05:44 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 06:49 AM
Expert

Garage
You might try searching Craigslist for an engine. I see Ecotecs pop up all the time in that $400-500 price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
pistons , problem , rebuild

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode