06 Cobalt P0302. What Now? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

06 Cobalt P0302. What Now?

So I have a 2006 coupe 2.2L 139k with a P0302 code.

I just changed the O2 sensor, spark plugs and oil. (there was a o2 code as well, now it's gone.) The oil and filter looked pretty bad, a little sludgy but not low. The plugs were worn but all in good condition and all looked the same.

The car is not bad except for this P0302 code. What seems strange to me is that it doesn't seem to trigger until the AC is turned on at idle. I haven't driven it enough to verify that though.

It runs great and pulls without issues through the rev range. I don't really get any physical indication of a misfire but I have not driven another Cobalt. It has minor vibration at idle but not very noticeable especially for a 4 cyl. econobox.

I would like to fix the CEL for good. What steps can I take to continue the diagnosis? I checked the spark plug boots and springs, they all seem in good condition. There are no strange noises from the exhaust. No drivebility issues, no overheating or coolant loss. It gets 29mpg.

What can I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Which OBDII reader are you using? It should be able to give you misfire counts. This can help tell if you have a real misfire or a freak code. May just need a gas treatment to clear some carbon.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Which OBDII reader are you using? It should be able to give you misfire counts. This can help tell if you have a real misfire or a freak code. May just need a gas treatment to clear some carbon.
Bluetooth and Torque Pro. For some reason the misfire counts don't seem active. I activated the extra PIDs too. I'll try again today.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I tried mine this morning, and couldn't get it to work either. Maybe an update bug.

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

Okay, I found what they did, you now have to tell it which manufacturer you want to monitor.

Start up Torque
Touch the options, bottom left
Settings
Scroll down to Manage extra PIDs/Sensors
Then I selected GM, Pontiac Opel something or other, next to Ford
Then I think it adds the GM PIDs
Then go back to the “Realtime Information” and when you want to see or add the Misfire PID it will be there.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 10:50 AM
Forum Regular

I remember having a code about a month ago dont think it was the exact one but, my father cleared them since i dont have a laptop and it went away and i later found out there was no issue. but if you tried that and it still there then i honestly dont know

Be Happy!
2010 Chevy Cobalt LT: K&N Air Intake, removed chevy emblem on the back, blacked out the chevy bowtie upfront, Red LED Underglow, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, Eibach Pro-kit Lowering Springs.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
I tried mine this morning, and couldn't get it to work either. Maybe an update bug.

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

Okay, I found what they did, you now have to tell it which manufacturer you want to monitor.

Start up Torque
Touch the options, bottom left
Settings
Scroll down to Manage extra PIDs/Sensors
Then I selected GM, Pontiac Opel something or other, next to Ford
Then I think it adds the GM PIDs
Then go back to the “Realtime Information” and when you want to see or add the Misfire PID it will be there.

Yeah, I tried this. For some reason the PIDs are shown not active. Not sure why. I reinstalled the app but no go....
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
If you re-installed the APP you will need to re-select GM because it will go back to default which is nothing. Misfires are at the very bottom of the list. They will only be highlighted if you are connected to the ECU.

Last edited by Coby7; 09-18-2016 at 12:06 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
If you re-installed the APP you will need to re-select GM because it will go back to default which is nothing. Misfires are at the very bottom of the list. They will only be highlighted if you are connected to the ECU.

I did just that. Still nothing.
Here's something weird though. Today I started it and it was running VERY rough. Sounded like 3 cyl. I shut it off, restart and it purrs.
Even stranger, I reset the CEL, and this time removed the Bluetooth adapter. (I've had it plugged in since I got the car.)
Now, after 3 or 4 starts and a few short trips still no light. Before the P0302 would trigger after even a short run cycle. I think I'll leave it unplugged and just see if comes back.

PS. I also cleaned the throttle body and reseated and cleaned the ICM and ECU connections. Neither were very dirty.

Edit. Check Engine light just turned back on :( Seems to be running just fine though.

Last edited by Simone Azzalin; 09-18-2016 at 03:44 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I picked up an ICM from the junkyard for $8 today, figured it was cheap enough to try. No change. P0302 came back after 3rd drive cycle.
I loosened the coil module thing and wiggled it while running to see if it was a bad connection, no change. I think a compression test will come next. Good thing the car was cheap. If it's low I'm not fixing it lol.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

UPDATE:

I thought it would be a good idea to swap injectors. I noticed that cyl. 1 injector was different/ newer. I swapped cyl.2 with cyl1 and what do you know, the code moved to P0301. Looks like I'm getting new injectors! Easy fix! Also seem like this isn't the first time since cyl.1 had been replaced already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode