2010 2.2L, Multiple DTCs - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

2010 2.2L, Multiple DTCs

Good Afternoon! New here, trying to get some input so I can decide how to proceed. Bear with me, I tend to over-inform in an effort not to leave too much out. Background: I have a 2010 Cobalt 2.2l automatic, I think it's the LT but I can never remember. History: May 2016 - transmission fluid change and new intake and exhaust camshaft solenoids. June 2016 - water pump leak, parked until repaired. Last week - new water pump and thermostat installed. Post-repair: the shop notices a definite whine that was not present prior, they gave me a couple different causes (coolant on belt tensioner pulley, weak tensioner, new pump amplifying the timing chain sound). They said that I'll need to replace the timing chain and tensioner "at some point" but were vague on the urgency, implied that it's just a nuisance for now. After researching I have found that the whine post-replacement of the water pump is often caused by the tensioner slipping, a readjustment could very well fix the problem. I also found out that there is no replacement schedule for the timing chain, only if it stretches/breaks? Current issue: I've got 7 DTCs, two of which repeat themselves (so 5 separate codes). Those codes are: P0013, P0014, P0700, P0842, P0973 (0700 and 0973 are the ones that repeat). I know the first two apply to the exhaust camshaft solenoid (P0014 could be from over-advanced timing, correct? Could that be caused by too much tension on the timing chain?). The other three relate to the transmission or some electrical aspect thereof, if my research was interpreted correctly. My question: Is there any urgency on which I have addressed first? I prefer to go to the transmission shop that did the servicing in May, but I had the water pump repair done elsewhere and I'd like them to readjust the timing tension. I don't want to risk damaging my transmission, nor do I want to risk damage from the timing chain being too tight or maladjusted. The two shops are in the same town, 25 miles from my car's current location at home, but it's unlikely I could get appointments at each in the same timeframe so I'd likely have to drive it back and forth a couple of times. I did not notice much out of the ordinary when driving it home initially, but I have been driving my cranky pickup all summer so I could have missed something "different".

(I initially posted this in the wrong forum, I can be blonde like that.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
dtcs , timing chain whine , transmission , water pump

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode