P0113 Code (CEL) - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

P0113 Code (CEL)

This is my first post on this forum, but I figured I'd give it a shot since there is a lot of good information and a lot of knowledgeable people out here.
About a month and half ago I had gotten a CEL. It happened when I once stepped on the gas after taking a left turn. It could've happened before that, but I think I would've noticed if it did. My gas cap may have been loose, but since then I have tighten it and removed the (-) battery cable.
I went to multiple Advance Autos to get the code scanned. It is a P0113, or an " Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input." I don't have an OBDII reader and don't really wanna get one, so I can't get a temp reading if it does have that -40.

I have bought a replacement sensor on eBay, brand new. I have removed the battery cable, replaced sensor, and plugged it back in. I tried to also clean the old one with a MAF cleaner spray. I have tried it many times, always with removing the battery cable to reset the codes. Always came back pretty much within the first mile (simply within the first drive), no matter if I tried it with the current MAF or the new one from eBay.
(this one: 15865791 MASS AIR FLOW METER (MAF) Fits:Buick Cadillac Chevrolet GMC Isuzu & | eBay)

I have seen that some of the issues could be caused by a short in the harness. I bought a new harness on Amazon, but haven't tried it yet. Visually the harness (the original one) seems fine, I don't see anything burnt or anything. I'm not sure if I trust myself to try to cut the wires and replace the harness myself. However, I would love to avoid going to the shop and not get charged $50 just to get it scanned.

Also, another cause apparently is if the wires are wired close to to the spark plug wires and such. Well, they are, I am assuming by factory. They come out of the PCM in a same wire conduit, then the each spark plug wires came out to the spark plug, and the wires continue to get to the MAF. Do I rewire these then? I am not really sure.

I also did some testing with a multimeter, per this site: Part 2 - How to Test the Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (GM 3.5L)
I don't know if it is supposed to be getting 10-12V like the site says, or 5V. If I remember correctly, it was getting between that range when I last tested it, but I don't know if it is supposed to, because I keep hearing about this 5V reference.
The Hz readings were changing "normally" (lower at idle, higher at 2000rpm, much higher at 3000rpm and such), so I think it's responsive sometimes. I assume it wouldn't work if the sensor wasn't getting power, am I correct?

If you've made it this far, thank you for reading. I am kind of OCD, so I really wanna get rid of my CEL. What should I do? Check fuses (if yes, which)? Do I try to trace the wires and put a new conduit on them to get them little isolated from the other wires? Do I just go ahead and cut the harness and replace with this: https://smile.amazon.com/APDTY-Conne...ds=maf+harness
Or do I bite the bullet and go to the shop? I know it is P0113, but the shop would want to check for themselves, that's some money right there, try a new sensor (which won't help I don't think). So I am kind of desperate for help now.
If anyone knows a good mechanic around Columbus, GA, who would be willing to help me out on a weekend, I would appreciate that. I can pay, I just want to make sure I am using my very limited (grad student) money well.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
2008 cobalt , cel , iat , maf , p0113

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode