Misfire - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Misfire

My daughter owns a 05 cobalt 2.2 ecotec, good car maybe. it has a random misfire code and I can't figure it out. this is what I did: new plugs and boots and it got worse. it sputters and lack of power on speed up and idles rough. replaced coil strip with a used one, checked ohms on all injectors and all were at 11.9. pulled all plugs and looked at them 3 were dry and one was wet. I checked for voltage at injector clips and got 12.17 volts across the board. I listened to each injector with stethoscope and could hear each one tick. I can't figure out what to do next, I'm lost. tomorrow or when the daughter lets me have the car again i'm gonna do compression test. any advice or knowledge is appreciated. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 04:38 PM
Prospect

Hi
I have had different problems and could not figure it out ,
and some of the wounder full people on this site answered me and told me to checking the bcm fuses located under the hood top right corner , there s a 30 amp and a 4o amp that control every thing ,take them out check them ,change them
and take it from there .

this past weekend my next door neighbors cobalt was out of control with the motor it sounds like what you are having
so I took a chance and opened the hood took out the bcm fuses for a minute cleaned it check to see if every thing was ok put the fuses back started the car and the car went back to normal

hope this works

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Hi
I ITS THE TOP LEFT CORNER NOT THE RIGHT TOP CORNER OF THE FUSE BOX UNDER THE HOOD ,
GET TO KNOW YOUR FUSES OF THE CAR IN YOUR OWNERS MANUAL IT WILL ALSO HELP IN THE FUTURE ,

THANKS

HOPE IT WILL HELP !
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 06:43 PM
Newcomer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by len405 View Post
it has a random misfire code and I can't figure it out.
I hope the car won't have a head blown...We would like to let us know about the cause of the issue.
Thank you.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 08:18 PM
Newcomer

Hello, I'm kind of new here to the group...Anyway my 2009 has a similar issue, replaced plugs..injectors and even effected coil packs, then after replacing the serpentine belt I forgot to plug in the mass airflow sensor which needless to say my fuel economy increased and shifts are so smooth I hardly feel it shifting when driving but still alittle sputter when starting out and a rough idle... dealer said compression was low in #3 but I don't know if I should believe that? it runs amazing aside from sitting at a light or idling..i always pop it in N at a light to alleviate the roughness alittle.. no oil consumption, no mixing of fluids or odors in coolant or oil
what could I try next?? If I plug the mass airflow sensor back in it slams thru gears and runs horrible more so than it does now at idle or traffic lights
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 11:08 PM
Contributor

@len405
You can get A new coil pack for a 2005 Cobalt for under $20.00 + shipping
3 dry and 1 wet tells you it is most likely not firing or is flooding out.
This can trash your cat in short order.

From firsr hand knowledge....get a new coil pack and factory plugs read your codes & code history, clear & recheck.

@dude32pa
Have you the tools to do a compression check or did you get the pressures? Without your mass air connected, your masking your engine problems. It will work, not well and not for long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode