Locked Seat Belt - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Coby7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Locked Seat Belt

I was recently in a small accident which caused the passenger-side curtain airbag to deploy. Naturally, as you may have guessed, this caused both the driver's side and passenger's side seat belts to lock into place. I've been doing some research and have come across varying answers as to whether or not the seat belts can be unlocked without having to replace them. So, in an attempt to get a definitive answer on this particular issue, I've come here to inquire as to whether or not this is possible. I had to create a new account because I forgot my password to my old account, and resetting the password, for whatever reason, was impossible. I got stuck in a never-ending loop of sending password reset emails which, oddly enough, did not allow me to reset my password. That being said, I know that these forums are home to some of the most knowledgeable Cobalt owners and certified GM mechanics on the entire internet. That is why I've come here to ask this question, because in my experience, the help and assistance that can be found here is unrivaled. So, can it be done? Can the seat belts be unlocked without purchasing replacements? I've heard that there is some sort of "pyrotechnic something or another" which activates upon an airbag deployment, and that the seat belts simply cannot be unlocked as a safety feature (to ensure that damaged seat belts can't be reused). However, I've also read that it CAN be done, but that it's actually cheaper and easier to have them replaced instead. Any and all insight is greatly appreciated, and I thank you in advance for taking the time out of your day/night/morning/evening to help my less-than-mechanically-inclined idiot self.

Last edited by JBotts3D; 11-27-2016 at 01:49 AM. Reason: The Grammars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
There are several places in the US where seat belt retractors can be re-loaded and you're right it is quite a bit cheaper than getting new ones, about$50 each. They push back the ball bearings into the barrel and replace the blasting cap very similar to a nail ram gun cartridge. They also reset the switch so the SRS doesn't detect an open circuit and set a code. SRS Airbag Module Reset & Seat Belt Repair Services , MyAirbags: $49 Module Reset and Replacement, $65 Seat Belt Repair : ABS Repair: Climate Control, Car Clock, Overhead Console : Cluster, Dashboard and Instrument Cluster Repair : Myairbags.com

Now sometimes you don't need to get the SRS module reset if the steering wheel airbag doesn't blow, so if you are not pressed for time, send your seatbelts first to get re-loaded and try them in and check for codes. If you get U codes this means you probably need to get the SRS module reset. But it may be cheaper in shipping to send everything at once. They will charge for the SRS module for testing it good or bad

When you pull the belts out and shake the re-tractor you will hear the ball bearings move around if it has deployed.
1966tbird likes this.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 11-27-2016 at 05:14 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

So it's not possible to reset or unlock the seatbelt on my own while it's still in the car?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Nope not if the blasting caps have fired. Take it out and shake it if you hear the bearings rattle in there you need to get them re-loaded.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode