Tire Issue & Rear Clunking Noise - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Tire Issue & Rear Clunking Noise

Been a long time since I've logged on, been very happy with my Cobalt for the past 6 years very little problems until recently. First problem is I recently got new winter tires installed on my winter set of rims and notice a slight vibration in the seat & steering wheel when I get up to a certain speed. I took it back and had mechanic put it on the machine and he said they are balanced correctly so I don't know what to do about that, my old winter tires didn't have a vibration. New tires are Bridgestone Blizzack 80's.

Second problem is I had both rear shocks and springs replaced as they were bad/broken and the mechanic didnt replace the insulators on the springs, just put the old cracked and falling apart ones back on, also the plastic lower spring seat for the passenger side was cracked and a big piece missing yet he said it wasnt a big deal and put it all back together. It rides and handles much better but now have a clunking noise coming from what sounds like the rear passenger side, almost like it's metal on metal. I have no clue and don't want to take it back to the mechanic again and have him call me OCD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 11:36 PM
Contributor

Sorry to hear your about your handling problems.
On your tires, you may need to take your car to a different shop & tire dealer and have the work done again.
It is easy enough to have a balancing machine off just enough or the tire tech sloppy enough and get less than desireable results.
The vibration tha comes only at certain speed then reduces at a higher speed is dynamic ballance.
It sais he didnt get the correct weights at the proper position on both sides of a wheel.

On your clunking check the price at another shop/garage to do the R&R of your speings WITH the new spacers & cushins.

Good luck and hope you get your ride to your satisfaction.
PS
Stay warm up north
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Well I just got back from my dealer the one I bought the car from explained what was going on in detail to make their job easy and quick or so I thought.

They took it for a run said yes we hear the clunk, swapped shocks, noise still in the same place, retorqued the nuts, took it for another run, clunk still there, spent must have been 2 hours staring at it for all I know. Then had the head foreman take it for yet another test run to confirm clunk still there. Never even checked the springs to see if it they might have been put in upside down.

Then on hour 3 of waiting the guys comes out and says 2 wheels were slightly imbalanced so they rebalanced all 4 took it for yet another run on the highway, shake still there the foreman says.

Service guy the said do I want to make another appointment for them to tear my rear end apart because they dont think its the shocks or suspension and spend more $$$ to do a road force balance test on the tires and rims. I'm ready to flip out at this point and said no just give me the bill and let me get the **** outta here.

So $211 and 4 hours later my car is still not fixed.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 03:55 AM
Contributor

Summit
You havent said what model cobalt but if you hava any auto skills, check our RockAuto an order a pair of Moog
Suspension : Stabilizer Bar Bushing for your year & model Cobalt. You should be able to get a pair delivered for about $10.
They are easy enough to install DIY.
There are links here on how to. Check out the following https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/mai...bump-bump.html
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966tbird View Post
summit
you havent said what model cobalt but if you hava any auto skills, check our rockauto an order a pair of moog
suspension : Stabilizer bar bushing for your year & model cobalt. You should be able to get a pair delivered for about $10.
They are easy enough to install diy.
There are links here on how to. Check out the following https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/mai...bump-bump.html
2010 lt
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
There's not a lot that can go wrong in the back, 2 shocks, 2 springs and a trailing arm that doubles as a swaybar. Is it the passenger side or driver's side? I had a loose rear door latch that made me look for a rear end noise for almost a year. Being where it attaches to the body dog leg of the fender I could of sworn the noise was coming from the wheel. Ended up putting a shim under the latch to keep it from moving since the screws would bottom.

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Oh! aftermarket springs will sometimes not fold on itself properly an make a popping noise, but upon inspection you should see shiny rub spots on the coil if this is happening and later when they rust they will squeak like an old school bus. Now you want to talk annoying......

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
There's not a lot that can go wrong in the back, 2 shocks, 2 springs and a trailing arm that doubles as a swaybar. Is it the passenger side or driver's side? I had a loose rear door latch that made me look for a rear end noise for almost a year. Being where it attaches to the body dog leg of the fender I could of sworn the noise was coming from the wheel. Ended up putting a shim under the latch to keep it from moving since the screws would bottom.

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Oh! aftermarket springs will sometimes not fold on itself properly an make a popping noise, but upon inspection you should see shiny rub spots on the coil if this is happening and later when they rust they will squeak like an old school bus. Now you want to talk annoying......
It's a coupe so no rear door. I stopped into my folks place tonight and had my father drive with me in the trunk, the noise sounds like its coming from just above or below where the rear wheel is passenger side. So it's either the spring, I'll check for rub marks, something loose inside the drum brake or something loose in between the sheet metal,and plastic cover in the wheel well. I'll be taking it to the mechanic I had do the work and see if we can't have a peek around at some point soon which I should have done in the first place, taking it to the dealership was a big expensive mistake I wont make twice.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
2 or 4 door doesn't change the fact that it could be the door latch making the noise.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode