Metallic Rattling Sound + Clunking Sound? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Metallic Rattling Sound + Clunking Sound?

I owned a Grand Prix GT for 3 years and new that car inside and out, but this Cobalt I just bought is strange to me so it seems it's time to seek help. I just bought a 2007 Cobalt LS coupe a couple months ago. So far I've replaced both lower control arms(and ball joints) because the bushings were completely destroyed, replaced the thermostat because it was getting stuck open, got an alignment and wheel rotation, and after a suspension inspection for the alignment the mechanic said it should be good to go and I just need new brakes(which I will do myself). However I'm hearing two distinct sounds. One is a metal clunking sound at low speeds, which I'm assuming is likely my sway bar end links because I can move them around by hand fairly easily on the driver side. My grand prix's sway bar just bolted to the control arm, so it just broke when it went bad so not sure what a bad end link sounds like. However, I also have a weird metallic rattling towards the front driver end. It almost sounds like something is loose or even like a piece of metal is sitting somewhere and rattling around at low speeds. I haven't noticed it at high speeds, mostly just at low speeds and it seems maybe just over small bumps. I jacked up the car and took the wheel off and looked everywhere. Everything seems to be fine. No play in the tie rod, control arm looks fine, ball joint looks fine, all bolts are tight, I can't see anything that might be broken. I also don't notice any difference in driving. Steers straight, doesn't pull, brakes fine, no real issues. Not wanting to waste my money to get it inspected again just to be told they don't see anything so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
You seem to be explaining swaybar bushings and end-link noise. Swaybar bushings are cheap end-links get some greasable Moogs.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
You seem to be explaining swaybar bushings and end-link noise. Swaybar bushings are cheap end-links get some greasable Moogs.

I had thought that created more of a popping and clunking noise than a rattling, can the bushings and end links being bad cause a rattling too? I was going to get end links next weekend so I'll just go ahead and get new bushings too.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The rattling is usually the swaybar moving the shoulder ball in the end link, kinda like a metal to metal sound and the bushings kinda thump on uneven road where only one wheel either moves up or down.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
The rattling is usually the swaybar moving the shoulder ball in the end link, kinda like a metal to metal sound and the bushings kinda thump on uneven road where only one wheel either moves up or down.
That would sound about right then. I will replace those ASAP and post back here with the results. Thank you.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Grease on the inside of the sway bar bushing will prevent it from squeaking. Also do both at the same time, much easier than doing one side then doing the other.

Last edited by Coby7; 12-02-2016 at 03:11 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Grease on the inside of the sway bar bushing will prevent it from squeaking. Also do both at the same time, much easier than doing one side then doing the other.
Moog sells 250mm long and 300mm long links. Do you happen to know which one is best or which one I need for the base model Cobalt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode