Intermediate Shaft Firewall Seal Installation? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Intermediate Shaft Firewall Seal Installation?

'07 Cobalt LS

I'm replacing the intermediate shaft (and the rack, for that matter). I'm having great difficulty getting the shaft boot to seat into the opening in the firewall. The boot has a 'doughnut' that's supposed to pop through the opening, thereby locking the boot in place. I haven't been able to get that doughnut to pass.

The Chevy book just says "Seat the intermediate shaft seal using a pushing, squeezing and twisting motion until seal is fully seated," and to do this before attaching the shaft to either the rack or the steering wheel. I've tried it that way, as well as with either or both ends attached. No joy.

This guy [1] says something (right at the end) about "pushing [the boot] through from the other [engine?] side," after he'd attached both ends of the shaft. I assume he means 'pull', but I'm not sure how you would do anything from that side, given how restricted the space is. In any case, I got nowhere.

AFAICT from Google/YouTube, I'm the first person to have this particular problem, which makes me think I'm missing something. If there's a trick, I'd appreciate hearing it. Or even just, "Yeah, it's hard," or "It's a piece of cake." Thanks.

[1]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
That was easy for me, I wrapped a shoe lace in the seam of the boot then inserted part of the boot in the hole with the shoe lace end inside the cockpit and pulled on the lace and it popped right in.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 07:48 AM
Forum Regular

I sprayed mine with copious amounts of silicone lube and had my son pushing from the the inside while I was pulling from the engine bay side...took less than a minute...good luck with yours

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 05:45 PM
Prospect

are you trying to get the boot in after you attached to rack or column? I put boot into place with relatively no resistance. Then hooked up to rack and torqued pinch bolt. Then to column. 30 mins maybe.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

> are you trying to get the boot in after you attached to rack or column?

No, though I have tried that, too. I actually (finally) did get it in (really) ... but, I had the inner shaft extended, so that was in the neck of the seal. In trying to get the thicker outer shaft through the seal, the whole thing popped out. I'm starting to think it's a personal problem.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 01:34 PM
Prospect

Lol. You'll get it. Other thing I forgot is to make sure your not putting it in upside down. Hahaha
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

For the record, I got it in. I'm not ready to die for this idea, but I think what made the difference was heating the doughnut. It wasn't that cold (20F-ish); but, after warming it with a heat gun, it worked just like they said. Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
repair , steering

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode