New Member - Please Help! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

New Member - Please Help!

Alright, so I bought a 2007 Cobalt with 218,000kms on it back in may 2016. Ran perfectly, didn't even need anything done to her to pass safety certification or anything like that. I've only recently started having problems with it within the last month or so. My check engine light came on about 2-3 weeks ago now. I checked everything out that I could think of under the hood and when I pulled out my dipstick it had barely any oil, even though I'd had an oil change not even 2 months earlier. So I went out and bought synthetic blend oil to fill it with, and filled it back up. When I took the cap off to fill it there's a yellowish kind of sludge in there too.. that was last week. I went out of town Last week and was coming home yesterday so I checked my oil levels again before the drive. I've burned just over a litre of oil in maybe 1000kms.. I'm going to bring it into the garage sometime this week, but does anyone have any ideas of what I could check before I bring it in?

Thanks in advance, and also I'm a first time car owner so if anyone has any tips about what I'm doing wrong based off what I wrote in this post please please let me know! I don't always know what I'm supposed to be looking for seeing as how I've never had a car before.. thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:04 AM
Staff Alumni

The yellow stuff is normal with short trips and/or low oil. As for consuming oil like crazy what grade oil are you using?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If you have enough condensation to produce the yellow slime you may also have a plugged crankcase vent tube. It's the rubber hose that goes from the valve cover to the intake on the left side. Make sure none of the oil is leaking on the ground.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I had just been using whatever the regular oil was they put in at Canadian Tire when I brought it in for an oil change 2 months ago. Maybe 2 weeks ago when I checked it and realized it was super low, I refilled it with synthetic blend.

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

I haven't noticed any oil spots beneath my car or anything like that. I'll check it out though when I get home tonight. I'll keep you posted with my findings! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode