'08 LS Driver Door Lock Seized - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

'08 LS Driver Door Lock Seized

Hi all.

I have an '08 LS (manual locks). Over the last couple of weeks, my drivers door lock was feeling a little funny. Occasionally (maybe 25% of the time) I'd insert the key, but it woudn't turn. A little jiggle or reinserting the key would fix it every time.

Sure enough today it's not working at all. It seems, to my eye, that the key might not be going in all the way, but only by a hair, and it's hard to say for sure. I initially thought it was just frozen, but based on my recent issues with the lock, I don't think that's the case.

Additionally, about 2 weeks ago, my trunk lock seized completely. The key inserts effortlessly, but it won't budge at all when trying to turn it. Seems like a bit too much of a coincidence, but I don't see how they can be related. I've tried both of my keys with the same result, and they work flawlessly with the passenger door.

So I guess my question is, once I've ruled out ice 100%, how much of a repair is this? I assume the dealer could replace the door lock to match the passenger and trunk. Or a 3rd party could replace all 3, or just the driver door (2 different keys?).

Any ideas on pricing for this type of work? (I could never do it myself). I'm in Ontario, Canada, so prices will vary greatly from region to region, but even a ballpark would be nice. I have no idea.

And throwing the trunk issue into the mix, anything else I'm not thinking of besides busted locks? Could the keys really be to blame?

I have a 3rd key I haven't tried yet. But I'll have to find it. I got 2 cut at the dealership, and have no idea which is the original. But both keys I have handy have worked fine for months.

I doubt ice being the issue for the trunk in particular, because it's been like that for weeks, and we just had a really mild spell and it still didn't open.

Anyways, thanks for listening. I don't want to spend sevearl hundreds of dollars on this, so I fear I'm just going to have to not lock the car, which is annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 06:56 AM
Forum Regular

Not sure about your doors but my trunk was the same way the lock comes off easily and clean you can do it yourself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode