CEL Code + Service Traction Light - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

CEL Code + Service Traction Light

My 2007 2.2 cobalt has been throwing a check engine light and a service traction/traction control notice on the DIC. So today I took it to Advance to have them run their scanner on it.
The first code was C0561 "System disabled info: stored invalid serial data" and he asked me if I had changed the battery and I told him last fall, he said that was why my service traction light was coming from because I was suppose to use something to keep power the the computer while I changed the battery. To clear that one I would need to go to a dealer or somewhere like Pep Boys to get that done. The next code was "P0171 Bank 1 system too lean x 3 ( 1. current 2. intermittent 3. confirms) and could need a tune up for that one. Next was P0300 random multiple misfire, same thing, tune up. Does this guy sound correct? Also took it to Autozone for them to check and their reader only read engine codes and not chassis codes and they said look for vacuum leaks, same P0171 code. Thanks for reading. Willie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 06:35 PM
Contributor

My service traction light came on when my car was acting up. It ended up being a dirty MAF sensor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
No ''U'' codes ? Most common cause for this is a bad wheel speed sensor or wiring to this sensor but this usually triggers and ABS light too. Any other symptoms like loss of steering or hard shifting transmission? Your P0171 could be a few things wrong like an HOČ sensor getting out of range and will need changing or sometimes a dirty MAF or dirty air filter can cause this code. P0300 is a multiple misfire so you may need plugs soon if you have more than 100K miles. Did you have them reset or clear the codes to see which one would come back? Wouldn't trust the guy at Advance too much, it sounds like he just wanted to impress you. If you have an Android phone you should really invest $10 in a bluetooth reader and the ''Torque Pro'' APP you'd save money and confusion.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 02-02-2017 at 03:54 AM.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Nope, no "u" codes that he told me about. No ABS either, just the (T/C) light. When the light comes on, after stopping at a light or stop sign, it will shift hard from first to second and fine through the other gears. If I turn the engine off and back on the light goes out and will stay off for a while and it shifts fine. Even when I turn the engine off while at speed. I'm very careful when I do that. What do you think about what he said about when I replaced the battery and it threw C0561 "System disabled info: stored invalid serial data"? He suggested that was the cause of the Service traction light is from. I've downloaded the app to my phone and ordered the same B/T adapter in the picture you provided. Should be here Monday. I have 117,000 on the engine and don't remember changing the plugs and bought some to replace them. He also said that they wouldn't clear the codes. I have a reader (Autozone model) that shows and will clear the P0171 code but it will come back after a few miles, mine says there is 2 codes but will only show the P0171 code. Today when I cleared the code and drove it, the CEL and the traction off/service traction light came on at the same time. Autozone suggested the check the vacuum lines for leaks but I don't have a clue where to find all of them. Would you happen to have a diagram of the vacuum hoses? Thanks for the reply. Willie.

Last edited by Willie Howell; 02-02-2017 at 08:14 PM. Reason: added info
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 10:10 PM
Contributor

Just clean the MAF sensor and see what happens. Only around $7 for a can of MAF sensor cleaner. If that doesn't work, you're only out $7.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Don'y think there are any vacuum lines on an ecotec except maybe brake booster and positive crankcase hose. You having changed the battery causing an issue to me is ridiculous. 90% of any maintenance on these cars calls for removal of the positive side of the battery. I've had battery cables off for days without any issue. Don't believe a single thing that came out of that guys mouth. But what you may want to try is removing and reseating both blue/gray connectors on the BCM to clean and clear corrosion. Even though your symptoms seem to point to a wheel sensor you may be losing GMLan communication between BCM and TCM/ECM. You may also want to check the ECM/TCM fuse for pitting or corrosion. All this stuff cost nothing but a little time invested from you!!!.And is good preventative maintenance.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

If I have the setup in that picture ^^ I have no idea where that's located.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Passenger side, center console fuse block.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

This is the scan with the scanner pictured above, there is about 4 more codes that wouldn't fit in the email to myself,

Mode $06 test results Mode $06 report generated by Torque for Android ================================================ Vehicle VIN: 1G1AL58F577409705 Vehicle Manufacturer: Chevrolet Vehicle Calibration ID: 126 Test report: ------------------ MID:$01 TID:$05 Rich to Lean sensor switch time(calculated) - O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1 Test incomplete or dependant test failed -- MID:$01 TID:$06 Lean to Rich sensor switch time(calculated) - O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1 Test incomplete or dependant test failed -- MID:$02 TID:$8a - O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2 Max: 480Count Min: 0Count Test result value: 0Count PASS ---- MID:$02 TID:$8b - O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2 Test incomplete or dependant test failed -- MID:$02 TID:$8c - O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2 Test incomplete or dependant test failed -- MID:$21 TID:$a0 - Catalyst Monitor Bank 1 Test incomplete or dependant test failed -- MID:$3a TID:$c0 - EVAP Monitor (cap off) Max: 10L Min: 0L Test result value: 1.552L PASS ---- MID:$3a TID:$c1 - EVAP Monitor (cap off) Test incomplete or dependant test failed -- MID:$3c TID:$c8 - EVAP Monitor (0.040") Test incomplete or dependant test failed -- MID:$3c TID:$c9 - EVAP Monitor (0.040") Test incomplete or dependant test failed -- MID:$3c TID:$ca - EVAP Monitor (0.040") Test incomplete or dependant test failed -- MID:$3c TID:$cb - EVAP Monitor (0.040") Test incomplete or dependant test failed -- MID:$3d TID:$c4 - EVAP Monitor (0.020") Test incomplete or dependant test failed -- MID:$3d TID:$c5 - EVAP Monitor (0.020") Test incomplete or dependant test failed -- MID:$3d TID:$c6 - EVAP Monitor (0.020") Max: 60S Min: 0S Test result value: 1S PASS ---- MID:$3d TID:$c7 - EVAP Monitor (0.020") Test incomplete or dependant test failed -- MID:$41 TID:$d2 - O2 Heater Monitor Bank 1 - Sensor 1 Test incomplete or dependant test failed -- MID:$41 TID:$d3 - O2 Heater Monitor Bank 1 - Sensor 1 Test incomplete or dependant test failed -- MID:$42 TID:$d2 - O2 Heater Monitor Bank 1 - Sensor 2 Test incomplete or dependant t
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Was the vehicle running at the time? Don't look like it...Just go into fault codes and do a scan, it should give you just the fault codes.

Last edited by Coby7; 02-06-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode