Car Will Not Restart After About 10 Minutes of Driving. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Robert Moitoza

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Car Will Not Restart After About 10 Minutes of Driving.

2009 Cobalt 2.2. 198,516 miles. Drove 5 miles to get gas on my way to work. After fueling up the car would crank but not turn over . Towed it home and 2 hours later it still didn't start. The following morning the car fired right up. So I let it idle for like 10 minutes. Turned off the car. Fired up again so I let it idle about 5 more minutes. Turned off the car and again it didn't want to start. So now it just cranks but will not start.
Fuel pump maybe?? Any help would be great. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 02:00 PM
Prospect

I'm having the exact same issue. I've been lurking on a few forums and I see this problem come up fairly often but no real resolutions posted from what I've found. Based on some testing that my brother and I did we believe it is the pump. If I let the car sit for a couple days the pump will work for a while then the car will stall and the rail will have little to no fuel pressure at the schrader valve.

My cobalt has 124k on it and it's an NU6 California car. We were not able to find any blown fuses in the PCM fuse box, the relay appears to be operating correctly based on some jumpers and hearing it click (real scientific I know). We also eliminated the relay from the equation by making a jumper wire to power the pump and we couldn't hear it running at all.

I've also been known to drive for awhile with the fuel tank low which is another indicator it's probably the pump.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 02:32 AM
Contributor

Change your original fuel filter and conduct a fuel pressure test then let us know the results

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:28 AM
Prospect

Fuel Pump and filter are here. For anyone else that has a California Car (NU6) of you need to do this service, order the AC Delco GF828, It comes with the pump, filter and reservoir pump. I'll update when installed.
Parthros likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:39 PM
Prospect

Depending on the year, I'd confirm make and sure you diagnose it is the fuel pump before purchasing installation.

If there is no CEL light or DTC's, I'd check the crank position sensor first depending on the year. I had my 2006 LS completely die after warm up with no CEL or DTC.

Start and run fine after warm up and completely stall / die. After it was cold I could start it and run it until it warmed up again.

A bad CKP sensor is cheap and easy to diagnose - just GM PCM is weird about no CEL light. It's $25 at parts store, and you only need to remove the starter.

But it makes sense - without a good crank sensor signal the computer has no way of telling the motor when to fire plugs at all on the 2006 2.2 Ecotec's.

Newer models might use a cam sensor of some sort to tell the PCM exactly when to fire the spark plugs, Coby7 would be the one who knows - he is the jedi master on Cobalts and has helped me greatly in the past

I just had to pay a shop to replace a CKP sensor that it took them 10 days to diagnose with Chevy dealership guys trying to help. It was because after I had a new clutch installed at a tranny shop they rerouted the wiring harness so it was shorting out on the block and metal AC lines - blowing fuses and CKP sensor connector was faulty.

But I have the same issue before, car starts up and runs fine until warmup, then it stalls and won't restart until it is cold. I replaced the CKP sensor on my Cobalt myself about 2 years ago and this fixed it after I tried a fuel filter, coil packs, and ignition module.

Long story short I'd confirm fuel system diagnosis before repair could be something easy (check that pump turns on and fuel system is pressurized). Fuses need to checked of course and pump is receiving voltage to turn itself on.

2006 Cobalt LS 2.2 / 5 Speed Coupe / 166k Miles

Last edited by jmatrix; 03-19-2017 at 04:55 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:06 PM
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
2009 Cobalt 2.2. 198,516 miles. Drove 5 miles to get gas on my way to work. After fueling up the car would crank but not turn over . Towed it home and 2 hours later it still didn't start. The following morning the car fired right up. So I let it idle for like 10 minutes. Turned off the car. Fired up again so I let it idle about 5 more minutes. Turned off the car and again it didn't want to start. So now it just cranks but will not start.
Fuel pump maybe?? Any help would be great. Thanks.
Did you ever figure it out. My 06 did the same thing. Car wash, fuel up and died.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 09:09 AM
Prospect

Angry

Ok, got the fuel pump changed in mine, it was definitely burnt. Sorry about the huge picture, not quite sure how to size it down.

IMG_0054 by Robert Moitoza, on Flickr

Now that the fuel pump is changed, I'm getting a code for P0230 Fuel Pump Primary Circuit. Has anyone dealt with this before? Didn't have a chance to do the proper wiring checks last night in terms of continuity, etc. If anyone has a good place to start let me know.

My first thought is that the relay could be toast and I was going to start there. From there not sure where to go. Could it be the ECM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode