Broken Outside Door Handle - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Question Broken Outside Door Handle

Of course I have told her many times that if the door is frozen shut, it won't help to keep pulling harder on the handle. But, what every 23 year old female does when the door is frozen shut is pull harder. So, now I have to replace a drivers side door handle on a 2007 Cobalt 2-door Coupe.
I have read through a couple other threads on this and have found and printed the diagram for the door handle. I am hoping that will be all the guidance I need in doing the replacement. However, I am having trouble finding a replacement. It looks like at some point in 2006 (probably 2007 model year) that they changed the door handles and I am not sure which one her car would need. I don't really care about the color of the handle but the originals are color matched to gray. A generic black would be fine.

If anyone knows for sure what part number I would need, I would appreciate it. Any further guidance on doing the replacement would be great as well.

Last edited by esox07; 02-25-2017 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Added photo of car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

OK, it looks like I have the Early 2007 door handles according the dates listed on the carfax. So, I found a good price on a replacement on RockAuto. I believe it is going to be one of those "Paintable" versions that will likely come black and ready to be painted.
Question: Do I have to paint it, or can I just leave it black. If I do decide to paint it, will I need to throw a coat or two of primer on it first or not or do they typically come "pre-primed"?

Also, still looking for any additional advice on the replacement procedure? I am confident I can get the interior door panel off without issue, but is there any tricks or "gotcha's" that I should look out for when I go to do the replacement?
Thanks all.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Do you still have some of that purple pink?

2005 - 2007 CHEVY COBLT OUTER DOOR HANDLE FRONT LEFT DRIVER SIDE | eBay

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Actually, yes. My daughter wanted me to Plasti-Dip here oem covers purple so I did. I have some left over. I guess it wouldn't hurt to use that....great idea.
But first I need to get them installed. I hope I don't run into a problem. Actually, I found a 1aauto.com youtube video on replacing the door handles and it looks extremely easy if just replacing a good handle. But I am not sure if it would work on one that is broken off. It doesn't even require taking off the interior door panel. I will explore that option first. If it works, it would make my day.

Last edited by esox07; 02-25-2017 at 03:40 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Thumbs down

Well, I just had my daughter drive over and took a look a the damage. Pretty much what I expected. The big issue is that there is no hole on the door jam like in the video. I am guessing that since hers is the 2005-2007 version instead of the 2007.5-2010 version, that was one of the updates she did not get. That sux because now I am going to have to pull the door panel and probably unhook all the locking mechanisms to get the handle out and replace it. The newer system made that so much easier. But, Oh well, I will just have to deal with that I guess.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
All you need is patience, the rest will follow. This is actually very straight forward. Does her car have manual window or electric?

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

They are electric. I found a 1aauto.com video for an impala that looks like it will be same/similar. Just way lots more involved than the newer door handles. I will post back to let everyone know how it goes. But, I won't get the part or get it painted for a week or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode