Extremely Foggy Windows... Bad Heater Core? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Extremely Foggy Windows... Bad Heater Core?

While driving home last week, I had the heat/defroster turned on, & within 2 - 3 minutes there was so much condensation on my windows and windshield that I could barely see anything. I stopped to clean them off using glass cleaner, and within 2 more minutes of continuing my commute home the windows were fogged up again, like a watery film on the glass. Cleaned 'em off again, left the heat off this time, and they were fine. After a few minutes of driving in 15 degree weather and not being able to feel my hands, I turned the heat back on (low setting). Boom, windows were fogged up again.

Looked up what it could be, and everything points to a bad heater core, except for all of the other common symptoms. My heat works fine (nice and hot), I'm not noticing a loss of coolant, I'm not noticing any wet spots on the passenger side floor or under the car, I don't really smell any fluids, etc.

So is the heater core still the culprit? Seeing how big/difficult of a project it is to replace it, I was wondering if anyone can provide any other possible causes or fixes before begin disassembling my entire dash.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 12:27 AM
Newcomer

I get this problem too at times. It us usually worse when it is raining and I am a little wet getting in the car. I hang one of these (https://www.amazon.com/DampRid-FG83K...8615956&sr=8-1) on the hooks in the back to help solve the problem.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdennis View Post
I get this problem too at times. It us usually worse when it is raining and I am a little wet getting in the car. I hang one of these (https://www.amazon.com/DampRid-FG83K...8615956&sr=8-1) on the hooks in the back to help solve the problem.
Thank you for the response! I'm concerned it's not just regular moisture though. It's almost like a clear oil-like film & it begins fogging up almost immediately with the heat being on. Once it fogs up, it takes multiple attempts to clean off with cleaning products. That's why I'm concerned it's possibly the heater core, I just don't want to spend a few hours getting to the heater core to find out it's not the issue :/

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:12 PM
Prospect

Coolant / anti-freeze that comes from any engine has a very unique smell that is easily identified.

It if it your heater core you should probably be able to smell used coolant filming up the windows.

2006 Cobalt LS 2.2 / 5 Speed Coupe / 166k Miles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode