2008 LT fuel filter removal problem - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

2008 LT fuel filter removal problem

Hi everyone. New here. I have a 2008 LT, 170,000 km and yesterday I tried to remove the fuel filter. The car has been rustproofed quite a bit , so everything is caked with rustproofing.

Anyways.It also may be the original fuel filter in the car. I had no problem removing the two lines that have the tabs. I just cant seem to get the single metal line out. I am using one of those cheap 3/8 plastic disconnect tools. When I put the plastic tool over the line.... is the tool supposed to go all the way in the filter?. For me its only barely going about half way into the filter....so maybe there is dirt,rust in the filter line?. Still cant get it to come off. Am I supposed to push the line into the filter and then push the connector tool inside?

I wanted to get a metal disconnect tool instead of a plastic one...but cant find the metal one in my area.

Thanks for any tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Figured it out. The cheap tiny plastic tool is not very good to use. Read other people saying the plastic disconnect tools dont work all the time. So I found a place that had the metal disconnect tool. That metal one worked like a charm. Jammed it in there and filter came right off. The plastic one that I origanly tried, kept flexing and wouldnt go in straight. The metal one worked no problem.

The cheap plastic kit that didnt work for me
https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...et/A-p2990323e

This metal one that worked
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/0252017P.html

Last edited by Brad08 cobalt; 05-06-2017 at 05:20 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 05:23 PM
Staff Alumni

Sorry man, would've saved you a lot of searching if I saw this sooner. I had the same issue and had to find my metal disconnect tools as well. Mine was stuck on with crud aswell. Never understood why gm didn't just use the quick disconnect on all three connections instead of only on the two.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by money_man View Post
Sorry man, would've saved you a lot of searching if I saw this sooner. I had the same issue and had to find my metal disconnect tools as well. Mine was stuck on with crud aswell. Never understood why gm didn't just use the quick disconnect on all three connections instead of only on the two.
No worries. Even the quick disconnects are a little tricky while squeezing the tabs. One line was was being stubborn. Fingers were killing me haha. I am sure it will be much easier next time
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 03:12 PM
Newcomer

I was wondering how many miles a fuel filter could be used before replacement would be due. I'm aware that the general recommendation for Cobalt/G5 is about 35000 miles, but I'm thinking it might not hurt too much if a new fuel filter is used to within 50000 miles. I have only used mostly Shell V-Power 91 octane fuel on my Ecotec LE5 engine most of the time except for the first couple of years I had the vehicle when I did use regular 87 octane gasoline. Any opinions on fuel filter mileage per filter replacement?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 05:51 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I changed my fuel filter around 110k miles and it probably wasn't even close to needing replacement.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode