AC Leaking - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

AC Leaking

Hello, my AC is leaking onto the passenger seat so I tried to unclog the drain, and it seems I am missing the elbow that comes off the firewall to drain AC condensation. I'm assuming it's a rubber elbow that attaches to it? Because as it is now, I think the air when I am driving is not allowing water out and blowing it back into my car.

I've looked at part catalogs for my 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt for a day or 2 now and I can't find what this part is called so I can order. Can anyone please help me out??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I believe it's plastic if my memory serves me right and it's part of the housing. It is hard to see from up top and no much easier from bottom. Just stick a pipe cleaner in there.

1966tbird likes this.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
I believe it's plastic if my memory serves me right and it's part of the housing. It is hard to see from up top and no much easier from bottom. Just stick a pipe cleaner in there.

Thanks, but my car has a little spout hanging off that is plastic- it faces front of car. My neighbor was a GMC mechanic and he told me that there should be an elbow coming off that so the hole is vertical and faces bottom of car. He thinks due to it being horizontal and facing front of car, the air from driving isn't letting it drain out (so it is finding easiest way out, which is my passenger seat under glove box).

I'm at work now but I can try and snap a picture during lunch so I can show you better. I've been looking at parts breakdowns for a day now and I'm coming up empty for the part needed.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I've had 3 Cobalts, 07,08 and 10. I've had this problem with all 3 and all 3 were exactly as the picture above. That spout isn't horizontal at all, it is at about a 45 and is split in 2. Insert long pipe cleaner at about a 45 angle and you will clear any debris from the bottom of your HVAC housing. If you do this from underneath wear a wet suit and prepare for a shower lol. Some people have had success just blowing air up there but I find it leaves the debris and it resettles at the bottom eventually. When you use a pipe cleaner a lot of debris comes out when you pull it out. In my case it was always pine tree needles because of all the scotch pines around the house and they seem to make it by the fresh air cabin air filter. I've had to do my 07 twice now and both times about a quart of water and debris comes out.
Robert Moitoza likes this.

Last edited by Coby7; 05-23-2017 at 08:17 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
I've had 3 Cobalts, 07,08 and 10. I've had this problem with all 3 and all 3 were exactly as the picture above. That spout isn't horizontal at all, it is at about a 45 and is split in 2. Insert long pipe cleaner at about a 45 angle and you will clear any debris from the bottom of your HVAC housing. If you do this from underneath wear a wet suit and prepare for a shower lol. Some people have had success just blowing air up there but I find it leaves the debris and it resettles at the bottom eventually. When you use a pipe cleaner a lot of debris comes out when you pull it out. In my case it was always pine tree needles because of all the scotch pines around the house and they seem to make it by the fresh air cabin air filter. I've had to do my 07 twice now and both times about a quart of water and debris comes out.
Ok, I will try a pipe cleaner today. I was attempting to clear with a hanger yesterday to no avail. My guess is I need the more flexible pipe cleaner.

I'll let you know if it works, and snap a picture of where I am trying to unclog after work. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Coby7; 05-23-2017 at 08:17 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yeah, a hanger won't work because it goes in about 3 inches then turns strait upwards and the hanger wouldn't be flexible enough.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Bought some pipe cleaners from Walmart but they are too weak- Ordered a bendable drain clog remover off Amazon that should be much stronger- 2 more days of driving around with a puddle until it gets here, heh
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

So I have tried for around 30 minutes now to unclog this thing with a heavy duty pipe cleaner I bought from Amazon. I have gotten nowhere. I can feel the pipe cleaner getting wet a bit, but thats it. I have tried both holes of the thing and no luck.

Any other ideas? Am I just not shoving the pipe cleaner far enough? I even tried with the AC on full blast since I read on internet that it may help. I can feel air coming out a bit of the drain but that's it. No gush of water like I was expecting.

I think I am going to have to take to a mechanic soon- I can't take the smell anymore, lol.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 06:46 AM
Newcomer

Same Issues

I have had this problem several times with my 08/09 SS cobalt. I have not physically seen the drain in a non SS cobalt but in pictures I have seen about this issue on the net it seems like its real easy for people to reach this drain, but I think mine is harder since my car has the turbo. There is a bunch of plumbing in that area That being said, I have always fixed it by blowing air in the drain and it comes gushing out. This year I did that 3 times so far and it keeps clogging again. So I figured that the clog goes up in there and eventually comes back down and blocks it again. I am not taking all that stuff out from under the dash and I need many more joints in my arm to reach around the turbo parts. so I figured I would drill a inch hole in the cabin side of the drain location to dig in there and get the clog out and then silicone the hole I created. I drilled the hole and no water at all even though I can hear it sloshing around when driving (especially when turning). I can hear it steaming when it hits the heater core also. At least thats what I think its doing. It is dripping out around the blower motor but when I go around turns it comes out all over the place. I can see daylight through the hole I drilled so I know I am looking through to the drain hole so I am assuming I drilled at the right spot. I tried shoving a wire through that but I can't get it to go very far. Im going to try some more but it would be nice if I knew the innards view of what the duct work looked like.

Any other recommendations on this? Anyone have an exploded diagram of what the duct work looks like from a service manual or something? I am assuming that the clog is somewhere else up the line but am at a loss. When researching I also saw something about a door in the ductwork being stuck that will cause this issue as well but I don't understand how that could do this. Anyone know anything about that? Thanks for your help in advance
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Yeah, I tried for about a week or so with a pipe cleaner (even bought a heavy duty one off Amazon) and had no luck. I ended up taking it to a mechanic near my work so he could blow it out with air hose. I think this is only the 2nd time it has happened for me so not complaining. My Subaru needs drain unclogged 2x per year (but that one I can do with just a hanger into the drain hose).

I think if it continues, I am going to buy a little air compressor to blow it out myself (and could use it to blow out home AC line as well)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
drain , elbow , leak

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode