Hard Starting - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Hard Starting

I have a 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS. Recently the check engine light came on so I stopped by Advance Auto to have the code diagnosed. I was told the throttle body sensor or the pedal position sensor was bad. After a few days the light went off so I thought the problem was solved but later it came on again for about a week then went out. This time I replaced the throttle body sensor. It's been two weeks and the light is still off but the engine is still hard to start. It normally starts immediately but now it takes several attempts to get it started. Would the pedal position sensor cause this? I know Advance Auto Parts diagnosed it as being one of two sensors but I hate to keep buying sensors and find out they don't solve the problem. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 01:10 PM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppie51 View Post
I have a 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS. Recently the check engine light came on so I stopped by Advance Auto to have the code diagnosed. I was told the throttle body sensor or the pedal position sensor was bad. After a few days the light went off so I thought the problem was solved but later it came on again for about a week then went out. This time I replaced the throttle body sensor. It's been two weeks and the light is still off but the engine is still hard to start. It normally starts immediately but now it takes several attempts to get it started. Would the pedal position sensor cause this? I know Advance Auto Parts diagnosed it as being one of two sensors but I hate to keep buying sensors and find out they don't solve the problem. Any suggestions?
Have you cleaned the throttle body? Reading a response to this problem on another forum, guy found that dirt build up prevented the throttle butterfly responding correctly to the pedal position.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppie51 View Post
This time I replaced the throttle body sensor.
Didn't think you could buy the throttle body position sensor separately. Never seen one!

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Part of the throttle body was made onto the throttle body sensor that I replaced but I haven't cleaned the part that wasn't replaced. I put marvel mystery in two tanks of gas and sea foam into one tank but that may not have cleaned the system good enough. What is the best cleaner to use on a throttle body?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 01:59 PM
Prospect

I used with good success on a 1999 Cavalier Z24 with 135k miles. Noticably smoother idle. Cleaned the MAF, too.
http://www.crcindustries.com/product...kit-05111.html
This is availabke from Walmart for around $8.00.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Would I need to remove the top half of the throttle body to clean the part of the throttle body that wasn't replaced? I would think it would be best especially since it's easy to remove. Thanks for all the advice from everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode