Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: North Reading, MA
Service Traction DIC; No Check Engine
Hi - My daughter's 2008 Cobalt LT (VIN: 1G1AL58FX87133264) is showing a continuous Service Traction in the DIC. Also shows a Traction Off once upon startup.
No check engine light present
No ABS message or ABS light present.
It has the following codes: C0050 (right rear wheel speed sensor circuit) and C0045 (left rear wheel speed sensor circuit).
1) I am suspicious that both left and right speed sensor circuits have faults. Is it unusual for both rear speed sensors to go? or could the root cause be in the rear wiring harness which joins the connector and L/R sensors?
2) Is it possible to access the rear speed sensors connectors, to clean and coat with dielectric grease, without removing the wheel hub? Any tricks? (Drum brakes)
3) The rear common connector which the speed sensor wiring harness plugs into is an exposed connector (ie: no cover plate). Is this typical or missing cover?
4) How do I determine if this Cobalt has ABS? It has rear drum brakes and 5 lug nuts.
5) Is this issue typically a bad wheel hub/speed sensor? Just replace both sides...