Rough Idle with A/C on and Hard Start - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Garage
Rough Idle with A/C on and Hard Start

My Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2006 pre-owned, I'm huge fan of cobalt I really wanna SS. Anyway I put new Spark plug correct gap, Oil change, cleaning throttle body so shiny, new alternator, and still rough idle with A/C

Maybe Fuel filter or other?

Im new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 05:49 PM
Contributor

How many miles?
Did you replace the coil pack yet?
Any ODBII codes?

BC
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966tbird View Post
How many miles?
Did you replace the coil pack yet?
Any ODBII codes?
130,700 miles
No? is it Ignition Coil?
Went to autozone no code

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 06:06 PM
Contributor

Under the big eotech, plastic, top engine cover, On top of the valve cover, is a small black box. This containes the 4 spark plug coils that fire the plugs.
You had tomremove it to change your plugs.
Check GMParts, AZone, other local parts housed and RockAuto.
A poorly working coil pack will reak havock on your engine and at 130k mi, it is not out of line for PM for $20-$50 for a new one is cheap compared to a damaged Cat due to misfire.

I see you gapped your plugs, checked the spark plug gap....good

Did you clean the mass air flow sensor?

BC
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Garage
Quote:
Under the big eotech, plastic, top engine cover, On top of the valve cover, is a small black box. This containes the 4 spark plug coils that fire the plugs.
A poorly working coil pack will reak havock on your engine and at 130k mi, it is not out of line for PM for $20-$50 for a new one is cheap compared to a damaged Cat due to misfire.

oh I see spark plug coils

I gapped .32 4 x Pulstar EF1H 10

I dont clean mass sensor yet.
so pull out mass sensor clean it and put back, it should work?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Garage
Quote:

oh spark plug coil
I grapped .32 with 4 x Pulstar

I didnt clean mass sensor
pull out mass sensor, clean it and put back. it should work?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 07:57 PM
Contributor

Hmmm
That 0.032" seems a bit tight. While the orig ACDelco Iridium are a bit pricy to do last a long time. Yet most of the plugs are calling for closer to 0.043"-0.044". I see that in the 2006 Cobalt GM used a ACDelco 41105 Iridium while I have a box of 41103 that we put into the 08LS it's just a slightly different heat range. Go with the stock part here and save your pulstars or increase the gap. Be sure to use anti-seize on the spark plug threads. Just a little goes a long way,

On the mass air flow sensor
Yes simple to pull and clean with the proper care and cleaning fluid/spray.... be very carful though it can be damaged quite easily and does not tollerate any mechanical abuse. Many videos available showing how to do it well.
Also choose the cleaning fluid wisely. Many improper cleaning fluids will leave a film on the sensor. There are good cleaning fluids/ sprays designed to clean mass air flow sensors.

Enjoy

PS I use the Pulstar plugs in my other rides. Worked with some of those folks in New Mexico for many years in very high energy science. Plan on hooking up with them this summer

BC

Last edited by 1966tbird; 07-10-2017 at 08:04 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Garage
Quote:
Hmmm
That 0.032" seems a bit tight. While the orig ACDelco Iridium are a bit pricy to do last a long time. Yet most of the plugs are calling for closer to 0.043"-0.044". I see that in the 2006 Cobalt GM used a ACDelco 41105 Iridium while I have a box of 41103 that we put into the 08LS it's just a slightly different heat range. Go with the stock part here and save your pulstars or increase the gap. Be sure to use anti-seize on the spark plug threads. Just a little goes a long way,

On the mass air flow sensor
Yes simple to pull and clean with the proper care and cleaning fluid/spray.... be very carful though it can be damaged quite easily and does not tollerate any mechanical abuse. Many videos available showing how to do it well.
Also choose the cleaning fluid wisely. Many improper cleaning fluids will leave a film on the sensor. There are good cleaning fluids/ sprays designed to clean mass air flow sensors.

Enjoy

PS I use the Pulstar plugs in my other rides. Worked with some of those folks in New Mexico for many years in very high energy science. Plan on hooking up with them this summer
I'm sorry, not .032 I just made up. Hayes book said .042in, old spark it was ACDelco there is no gap
Anti-seize, I watch video they didn't put Anti-seize on spark plugs. weird

Last edited by Ryan Johnson; 07-10-2017 at 08:18 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 09:23 PM
Contributor

130,000 miles......That speaks highly of that ACDelco spark plug
The ant-seize if for the next poor bloke that must remove the plug and the owner of the stripped out spark plug hole. Cuz of 2 cents of anti-size.

BC

Last edited by 1966tbird; 07-10-2017 at 09:26 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 09:31 PM
Cobalt Master

I've never used anti-seize on any of my spark plugs haha, then again I tend to pull them out fairly frequently. I like checking the spark plugs and doing a compression test way too often haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
rough hard start idle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode