Passenger Floorboard A/C Leak - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Passenger Floorboard A/C Leak

Hey everyone, I have a leak coming from the evaporator box whenever the A/C is turned on. The A/C drain is not clogged because it is properly draining as well, so I have dripping from the outside drain and also dripping on the inside by the fire wall.

I am dropping it off at the dealership today because it has to be fixed, the passenger floorboard has apparently been soaked for some time now and cannot be ignored any longer. I know there was a TSB back in 2006 or so about this issue for 2005-2006 models but apparently the issue still affects later models. So apparently this is still an issue with our cars?

I'll let everyone know what the dealership says, I'll mention the TSB to the service advisor as well and see what he says.

Haven't been to the dealership in YEARS! With a 2008 and 177,000 miles I try to stay away from them....might get the new car itch. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Update. The dealership didn't even look at my car for 4 days. The service advisor said they have to "pull the dash" because something plastic must be broke and apparently they are short staffed.He said the plastic drain breaks all the time in these cars. Ya right! So I got my car back and fixed it myself

I referenced TSB # 09-01-37-002a. Basically the foam seal that the AC drain sits in gets cracked and dried out on the outside firewall and it allows water to seep back in the cabin via the firewall. Any way, this is 100% a diy repair. Took me about 1 hour to seal that piece of foam. Why didn't GM seal that foam gasket from the factory???!!! Now it looks great and I have no more water leaks. The TSB can be found on other forums FYI. With pictures.

This problem is different than a clogged drain. Since this leak is happening through the firewall it will NOT wet your carpet. It is leaking underneath the carpet and it doesnt seep through because the carpet has some sort of waterproof backing. So I advise you check your firewall periodically, you have to pull the carpet back a little to investigate. There will be no warning signs.

I hope this helps people in the future.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 06:48 AM
Contributor

Great find! for the TSB number but
Bummer,
I thought you had the link for the TSB.

BC

Last edited by 1966tbird; 07-30-2017 at 04:17 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

I was going to post it but it is located on the Chevy HHR forum, didn't know if that was against the rules? It sure would be helpful though.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 04:39 PM
Contributor

Well???

What forum?

BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode