Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Coby7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

09 cobalt lt

I have a 2009 cobalt LT.

2.2 LAP NU6 VVT ecotech 8th digit of vin is an "H".

The motor is needing rebuilt or replaced, from searching the forum and google the 2009-2010 2.2 is only interchangeable with the same year model.. im just going to replace.

my question is, are there any other things i need to know on which motor will work for my car. Or is it all 2009-2010 2.2 ecotech motors regardless of emissions or anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 11:44 AM
Expert

Garage
I think you should be okay with any LAP engine (that's the 09-10 2.2l you mentioned), but I'm not 100% sure what the difference was on the California version of the Cobalt. It may have had some extra emissions components, such as a second cat after the O2 sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Any 2.2 ecotec with dual cam actuator will work. whether it be from a G5, HHR or saturn ION.
Parthros likes this.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 01:33 PM
Expert

Garage
Someone on an Ecotec Facebook page just explained the California differences today.

"Secondary air pump on the motor by oil pan and another port in the head for the emissions above the exhaust manifold."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Believe me, these cars have a habit of growing on their owners. Your feelings will only strengthen over time...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

So... it seems i would need the california emissions motor?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 07:19 PM
Contributor

If your repairing a Calif emmissions car for cal state use, you most likely need the emmission components....NOT the entire engine.

Is your cylinder head trashed?

BC
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I live in Oklahoma. I just need a motor that will work. I could care less about the emmisions bs. I did a compression test and 3 cylinders where bad, has gotten hot, and head gasket leak, timing chain rattling around. I figured its cheaper and easier to just replace motor with warranty from a salvage. Found one for $450 with 70k on it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 11:04 AM
Contributor

OK? Parthros is in that area of Tejas around OKC.

If your getting an engine complete get one that matches your car or you WILL have problems with the BCM, PCM and if automatic, TCM getting them matched to your car. That is unless you have a GM programmer such as a Tech2.

BC
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
1966tbird for the first time I caught you!!! All these computers don't care what engine is under the hood. If it's a replacement engine and meets the 2 actuator criteria it should start right up and the relearn should all be integrated within 20 minutes of driving. It may stall a few times and hick-up during this time but the ECM is smart enough to relearn the new engine. Of course if you want it to run perfect immediately then you will have to do the TechII relearn procedures for Throttle body and crank position sensors. In my opinion, I would just take it for a 20 minutes ride. This also helps in identifying other possible problems. Oh don't forget to do a few full throttle pulls, this helps the ECM to set the top RPM limit. Try to hit to rev limiter at least once.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Contributor

Coby7. Your absolutely right!! I agree with you completely.

I just worry about Silvy taking a Calif smog car pulling the smog pump and dropping in a non calif engine. Firing it up and getting crank position sensor error. Then getting low air pump flow error and chasing those two errors down while the engine sputters and idles ar 2000 rpm as Silty scratches his head and starts to plame the PCM based on an Autozone code scanner. Then ends up getting a used PCM or BCM that locks up due to different VIN.
Finaly trying to figure out how to turn off the mil light due to Calif bad air pump, that was not reconnected, because it is not used in Oklahoma.

All of those subttle little oops that you have shared here on yourcobalt.
Now, knowing what we have learned from you, we can look forward to using the Tech2 and doing a throttle possition sensor, crank position sensor, and possibly a VVP / cam position relearn then trying delete the Cali air pump.

Oh, BTW I wonder, does the non air pump Cobalt take a different PCM calibration file? ? ? I dont know.

One good thing though, he does not need to worry about upgrading his cam chain tensioner on the 09

And please excuse me and do correct me with my flagrent misuse of ECM vs PCM.

BC

Last edited by 1966tbird; 08-11-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
1966tbird , coby7

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode