Cobalt stalled, would crank but no start. Now no crank no start. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Cobalt stalled, would crank but no start. Now no crank no start.

Wife's 2007 Cobalt 2.2L with auto trans has been running sluggish on acceleration, coolant temp not registering on dash occasionally. Hard to start occasionally. Over the weekend it stalled it while leaving the store. Turned over but no start. Tried several times, ever tow guy tried, no start. I heard tow guy banging on something, now I know it may have been starter? Get it home, check most fuses, still nothing. Unplug battery overnight, next morning Now No Crank!! Where should I troubleshoot? Saw so many issues with this car online about my symptoms I don't know where to begin. Had battery checked an charged. Nothing. Lights work, I here fuel pump prime. Had a buddy connect the post on the starter and it spun. However we think the 'plunger' didn't engage. Could it just be starter? Why did it stall out? BTW I changed camshaft sensor and will change crankshaft sensor if and when I remove starter. An advice would be of help and greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 04:44 AM
Initiate

Any codes popping up? The sluggish acceleration and the hard start to no start seem to be separate issues. WHen was the fuel filter changed last? If the crankshaft sensor doesn't do it, it may be best to get it to a shop once it's running. I'd hate to see you throw a bunch of parts at it when it could only be one or two things. (I've done it). Try the fuel filter first if it hasn't been changed in a while.

2006 Cobalt SS/NA
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I got a cheap obd II reader, it says no codes. Haven't tried to see if crankshaft can be manually rotated yet either. Is that easy to do?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Been awhile since fuel filter has been changed. I'm pretty mechanically inclined somewhat.. should I just pay a mobile mechanic for a diagnosis and go from there? I need this thing running again. I love Chevy, every car I've owned has been Chevy or GM, but this Cobalt is a nightmare!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 09:01 AM
Initiate

Yeah as a once diehard Ford guy (owned a Ranger for 19 years) I bought a 06 Cobalt to find issues left and right. My daughter's Saturn Ion and my son's Cavalier are both relatively issue free. I DO love the new Silverado's and Colorado's!
Anyhow, to get back on subject, you could drive yourself mad trying to figure this thing out. I have gotten frustrated and pissed off trying to figure out the issues with the hesitation and lousy mileage on my car, but I was too damn cheap bringing it in, however the parts I threw at it probably would've covered the cost of bringing it in for diagnosis! Lol. You could bring it in to have it diagnosed. They can hopefully pinpoint the issue(s) and you could go from there. Honestly I've learned a lot of maintenance how-to's from Google, YouTube, forums, etc. I think the first step is to have the car diagnosed.

2006 Cobalt SS/NA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode