Fuel Mileage and Hesitation Issues Solved! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

1Likes
  • 1 Post By WICobaltSS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Fuel Mileage and Hesitation Issues Solved!

Hey all,
Just wanted to update you on my everlasting issues with the Cobalt. After discovering a fuel leak by the rear wheel area, I was able to replace both the feed and return lines. The area where the lines are wrapped in insulation were rotted. Evidently the insulation holds water and salt well. Plus I replaced the filter. I blew into the old filter and got resistance until something unclogged and a bunch of gas blew out! After all was complete, I drove to a city an hour away, resetting the fuel economy first. I know these things aren't completely accurate, but to go from 22-23 MPG to 30-32 MPG, I'd have to say the issue is solved. Plus it's more responsive and doesn't bog down going up hills! I am one happy guy!
Parthros likes this.

2006 Cobalt SS/NA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 09:22 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
That doesn't surprise me - my buddy has an '09 SS/TC and had the fuel lines rot apart as well. Makes me glad I stopped driving mine in the winter years back.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

I don't blame you. While under the car I damn near cried when I saw how rusted the underbody was! Rocker area is starting to get bubbling in the paint as well. Ugh!

2006 Cobalt SS/NA

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 09:44 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I had too much time/money into the vehicle, and the last winter I drove it, it got sprayed with ice off some pickup's plow (which chipped a part of the upper grill, plus more chips on my hood), and then I couldn't avoid a massive chunk of concrete that got kicked up on our off-ramp. I'm lowered, and there is no shoulder to avoid it on - ended up going over it. Actually lifted the car up, and the engine/trans broke it into smaller pieces. How it didn't break either pan, I don't know - but I'm pretty sure it bent one of the mounts (or more likely, the bolt), and left a nice chip in my then brand-new rear Powell Hardcore bar.

I decided at that point it would stay in the garage any winters after that. Don't mind it getting snowed on if I need the extra room in the garage to do something on the Camaro or one of the other cars, but I just want it out of the salt.

I have such a solid coating of rubber underneath that probably prevented a lot of potential corrosion.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 08:40 PM
Contributor

Glad you found the leak and plugged fuel filter.
30-32mpg is not too bad. As you know YMMV..
Your 10 mpg increase will be felt in your pocket and in the range between fillups.
Now if i recall correctly you have an f35 with a little lower gear ratio in the differential...about 1-3mpg lower than an LS or LT

BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode