Codes Popping for MAF (P0102), Both O2 Sensors (P0135 & 0141), and Evap System (0443) - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

4Likes
  • 1 Post By theseabass
  • 1 Post By Coby7
  • 1 Post By theseabass
  • 1 Post By Coby7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Codes Popping for MAF (P0102), Both O2 Sensors (P0135 & 0141), and Evap System (0443)

Chance they failed separately, or could this be a systemic issue?

Iíve had this CEL on for a while now, and bought a simple OBD scanner a while back to try to figure it out. Saw that the codes commonly popping were emissions-related, and decided it wasnít worth the hassle since performance wasnít really affected. I would scan the codes and clear them every now and then and keep tabs on what they were, but never really needed to do something until transferring it to a state that does emissions testing.

First time I had it tested (using a self-service kiosk, the only way Iíve done it), I had recently cleared the codes, so the only one that popped was P0102 (MAF). I replaced the sensor, then had to get it retested. Since I didnít bother to clear anything beforehand, the 4 codes Iíve seen most recently popped, even the one for the sensor I had just replaced.

So what are the odds that all of these systems have failed and need replacing? Because of how long Iíve let this CEL linger, Iím not entirely sure in what order and in what spacing they each might have failed, so itís not clear if there was an order of operations, or if they all failed close enough together to be considered practically simultaneous, or suspiciously like a system issue that is affecting multiple things (or at least, causing multiple codes to pop). But since I replaced the MAF and that code is still popping, weeks later, could it be a dreaded wiring issue? Iíll give them a good look over to check for visible damage, but when it comes to car electrical systems, the extent of my knowledge is how to jump a battery and properly install a powered audio system.

I would love to just replace the evap thingy (for lack of a better term) and the O2 sensors and be done with it, but if there are some wires and connections I should test first so I donít waste time and money, Iím for it. I have a digital mulitimeter, and actually just replaced the batteries not too long ago I believe.

This is an í05 base model, with one of those k&n washable oiled air filters and a flowmaster muffler (all modification by previous owner, my stepbrother).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 09:14 AM
Prospect

Garage
Since these are all somewhat related, the first thing I would check would be the grounds for these components to make sure they aren't corroded/disconnected.
Justinw303 likes this.

2007 Cobalt Coupe LT3 --130,000mls-- black bowties SOLD
2015 Chevy Cruze -- 35,000mls
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
OR the Exhaust fuse. This fuse supplies all these sensors. You may have a frayed wire or something...

Justinw303 likes this.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 10-16-2017 at 12:18 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Seabass, how do I identify the ground wires for each of these components? Is there something like a common ground wire for them? I ask because I don't remember a separate wire going from the MAF sensor to a ground when I changed it, do I just need to follow the wiring harness back until I see something like a ground wire split off?

Coby, I'll check that fuse first, thanks for the highlighted map to it!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 05:33 PM
Prospect

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinw303 View Post
Seabass, how do I identify the ground wires for each of these components? Is there something like a common ground wire for them? I ask because I don't remember a separate wire going from the MAF sensor to a ground when I changed it, do I just need to follow the wiring harness back until I see something like a ground wire split off?

Coby, I'll check that fuse first, thanks for the highlighted map to it!
Here's a post with common grounds that corrode
Grounds to check
Justinw303 likes this.

2007 Cobalt Coupe LT3 --130,000mls-- black bowties SOLD
2015 Chevy Cruze -- 35,000mls
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Okay, update time:

Checked the emissions fuse and it was blown, so I replaced it. Cleared codes, did a few test drives, everything looking great! But then I get a code pop again. This time, it's only P0135. And now that I think real hard about it, I do seem to remember that before I had the 4+ codes, back when I first tried to diagnose the CEL, P0135 might have been the one and only. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking? Either way, looks like I'll be swapping out the upstream O2 sensor.

I know it's probably a "best practice" to replace both O2 sensors at once, but what are the odds that it causes a problem?

Last edited by Justinw303; 10-25-2017 at 06:31 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Just make sure you replace it with an ACDelco, and no need to replace both at once.
Justinw303 likes this.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Ah, so it's a no-go on the Denso?

I see 2 different varieties from ACDelco on Rockauto, the "GM OE" and the "Professional" ones. Is there any real difference there, and does it matter? Oddly, the "GM OE" is more expensive for the upstream, and cheaper for the downstream. I'll likely go with the $10 less "Professional" one, but since you specifically mentioned brands in relation to the replacement, if you have any further recommendations I'm all ears.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Well, history showed that anything elso than ACDelco either don't work or don't last. Also make sure it's plug'N'play in other words don't get one with open ends.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
emissions , p0102 , p0135 , p0141 , p0443

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode