Battery Light, Pulsating Dash & Headlights, Replaced Alternator (2010 Cobalt) - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Battery Light, Pulsating Dash & Headlights, Replaced Alternator (2010 Cobalt)

I drive a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt base model and I am having electrical problems that nobody can seem to figure out.

My battery light has been intermittently coming on for about 3 or 4 months, along with constant pulsating/flashing dash lights and headlights unless I'm pressing the accelerator. It seems like my battery light comes on shortly after I start my car, goes off when I switch into gear, and as I'm going down the road, it comes back on again, usually once I reach about 40-45mph and start coasting at the speed limit. The light doesn't go off until my spedomoter drops below 10mph, or I stop at a stop sign/light. Sometimes the pattern is slightly different, but it almost always follows this exact formula, especially in the mornings on my way to work.

I took my car to several places, most of which said my voltage regulator inside my alternator was going out. So I took that advice and I just had my alternator replaced this weekend, and the problem is still persisting. It's no better or worse. It is exactly the same, which makes me think maybe it wasn't my alternator/voltage regulator to begin with?

I've checked the battery terminals and they seem pretty snug. I also do not see any corrosion on the terminals.

If there is anything else I can check, or any questions that I may answer that could help figure this out, please let me know. I am desperate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I would check the ground wire on the engine for corrosion. 2 wires go to this junction right where the engine meets the transmission in front of the engine. One goes to the alternator and starter and the other goes to the ECM and radiator support to the right of the radiator inside the engine compartment. If I were to guess the culprit would be at the rad support ground lug either being loose or corroded..

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks for the diagram. While checking things out, I noticed this guy underneath the coolant tank. Looks pretty corroded. Could this be my culprit?

Please excuse my ignorance. I'm kind of a newbie.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
alternator , battery light , electrical , pulsating , pulsing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode