Cobalt P0442, Fuel Smell Under Hood - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Cobalt P0442, Fuel Smell Under Hood

Hello,

I've got an 05' Cobalt w/ 179k on it. Runs well but it threw a P0442 code (small evap leak) about 2k miles ago. I didn't think much of it as it runs and drives fine yet. In the past 500 miles or so I started getting a faint fuel smell through the fans blowing air into the cabin (only happens when the car is at a stop light, when we're moving and new air is blowing under hood it's gone). I never smell fuel walking around the car and it's not dripping or leaking any. I previously had the fuel line leak in front of the rear tire and this smell isn't near that strong.

Did some digging under the hood - no visible fuel leaks. Traced the EVAP line into the solenoid, gave it the blow test and seemed fine. The line from that going to the TB seemed fine. With the car running I started trying to sniff out the fuel smell and only get a fair hint of it from time to time on the passenger side near the air filter / far fuel injector - somewhere in there.

Any thoughts on where to start? Could my injector be leaking some (i'd think i'd have a different code or poor running condition) ?

Frankly I don't care about the check engine light as this is my beater commuter but I'd rather not get gassed out in the cab in stop/go traffic

Any help or suggestions would be great!!

Thank you,
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
You said you blew through the perge solenoid. I believe your not suppose to be able to when it isn't energized. Trying to remember but been a while.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
You said you blew through the perge solenoid. I believe your not suppose to be able to when it isn't energized. Trying to remember but been a while.
Sorry, I tried to blow through it and couldn't get any air through (which is how it's supposed to work I believe).

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Yes, so you may have an injector grommet seal issue if the EVAP purge line is good for the smell under the hood but that would not explain the P0442 which is a small EVAP leak not a fuel line leak.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Yes, so you may have an injector grommet seal issue if the EVAP purge line is good for the smell under the hood but that would not explain the P0442 which is a small EVAP leak not a fuel line leak.
Right, it's bizarre... The CE light actually turned off on its own yesterday which I thought was odd... Difference is it went from temp outside being in the 50's to the teens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode