Temporary P0300 - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Temporary P0300

Background:
2009 Cobalt w/2.2L with 203,000 miles. It was about 25F and I remote started the car this morning. All is good. I jump in, drive about 4 miles, mostly highway and stop and turn off the car. I run into the post office, pick up a package and come back out and start the car. I turned around and head back down the highway at about 55mph. Suddenly, the car feels like it is running out of gas and I look and the CEL is flashing. I slow down a bit and get ready to pull over and it stops flashing and car starts running normal. I drove another 7 or 8 miles and stopped and filled up with gas. Drove back home and checked the codes. I got P0300 and then cleared the codes.

I don't think the gas was the issue, but I was a bit under 1/8th of a tank when it happened. I filled up just to make sure.

My question is: Am I looking at a problem that is going to come back or was it probably just a glitch or one time issue? Does anyone know what might have caused this? I haven't had any problems before other than a VVT valve or some such went bad and I replaced it. That was a couple years and about 40,000 miles ago. I also get a Too Lean or rich condition (I forget which) every so often, but changing the air filter usually solves that and it hasn't happened for six months or so.

Any thoughts, advice or help is appreciated.
thanks,
Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Sounds like you passed a bit of water in the fuel. Being low on fuel and dropping temperatures would condensed vapor to liquid which would sink to the bottom of the tank where it would be picked up by the pump inlet. Water doesn't burn which would explain P0300 multiple misfire, I suggest some gas line anti freeze and don't let your tank go that low again in the winter.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Thanks Coby7. At the time, I really didn't think the "moisture in the gas" thing was the cause since it didn't happen again even after driving another ten miles or so. But, since I had let it get unusually low, I figured I would throw that out there. And after thinking a bit more about it, I recall that when I got back in the car after the post office, I had to pull a quick u-turn to go back and I am thinking when the G-force of the U-turn pushed all the gas to one side and probably caused some of the water to enter the fuel line. Then after driving about 1/2 mile more is when the code popped and the car ran bad. It just that long for the water to work its way from the tank, through the fuel line and up to the motor.

Thanks for the advice. I usually fill up when I start getting anywhere close to 1/4 full and will make sure I am don't let it get low again. And, yah, I will probably pick up some of that "Heet" or other gas line antifreeze product.
Bruce

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Or you could have just sucked air if your uey pulled enough G-force to completely move all the gas to one side.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Yah, that makes sense. I guess I will go with water in the gas though. It just seems like too much of a coincidence to have it happen when it starts getting colder outside. So, I went and bought a half dozen bottles of the ISO-HEET gasline dryer and antifreeze stuff. I will run that in the next several fills and the others I will use in my truck. Probably something I should have been doing any way.

And thanks again for your help and advice.
Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
p0300 flashing cel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode