Heater / AC Fan Motor Not Blowing Any Air - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Coby7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Heater / AC Fan Motor Not Blowing Any Air

My daughter's (Jo) car is a 2009 Chevy Cobalt LT w/ 2.2 engine. The heat stopped working (no air coming out of vents) and I tried AC, still no air blowing. I have changed the blower motor which didn't work (I tested the motor that was in there and it worked when I sent power to it). I changed the resister and that didn't work. I tried a new relay that didn't work (I tested the relay and I could hear the door clicking inside). I checked the fuses and although I didn't see any bad ones, I switched around fuses to see if that worked, it didn't. I changed out the heater/ ac climate control switch (also called the heater / ac climate control panel) and that didn't work. I checked the wiring to the best of my ability (with temps in the negatives and windchill in the -20 here in Friendly Minnesota) but I didn't see any loose wiring under the dash or behind the control panel nor did it look like any wires were damaged.

I will add that my daughter told me the 'check engine light' came on a few weeks ago and she forgot to tell me about it. It is putting out a code of P0013 - 'B' Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit (Bank 1)- the code has been there for weeks and it didn't affect the fan blower motor but I am throwing this out there in case this code would affect the blower motor.

I would like to get the heater /ac blower motor running and then I will tackle the P0013 code.

With everything I have tried, I am open for suggestions. Did I miss something? Is there anything else I should be checking for? Any help or advice would greatly be appreciated.

Jo's Mother
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 02:53 PM
Forum Regular

Is the blower motor running at all speeds or not at all
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

When the blower motor is in the vehicle, it does not work at all. I took it out and hooked it up to a power source and it works. I've even tried replacing the blower motor with 2 different ones I purchased but neither one worked so I did a power test of the original one and it was getting power so I ruled it out. Thank you.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 04:51 PM
Contributor

Check and see if the connector at the blower motor seems melted any..... also check if you have any voltage on the wire to the motor. Finaly check if you have a good ground.
There is a post here on where the blower motor ground is. Search for ground locations on this forum.
Coby7 has posted images of the schematics and they can be found elsewhere on the web
I believe your looking for G203 and there is a connector between the fan motor & the ground lug.

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/pro...on-images.html

BC

Last edited by 1966tbird; 12-28-2017 at 04:58 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

1966tbird- Thank you so much for giving me another option to check. I printed out the ground locations (for all for future reference) and I will be using your advice to check the ground on Saturday. I appreciate you taking the time to provide me an answer along with direction to find the diagrams of the grounds. I'll let you know the outcome. :o)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

1966tbird- I've checked all the wiring and have not found any loose, broken or melted wires. I may be looking in the wrong spot. You mentioned "there is a connector between the fan motor & the ground lug", where would this be? I have tried replacing all the parts and none of that has worked so I believe it is in the wiring although I can't locate it. I would appreciate any more thoughts or input on this. My daughter is using my mother's car for now until we can get heat in her car.... she can't afford to take it to a mechanic. I will try any suggestions. Thank you.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
On the lefthand side of the steering column. There should be 2 black wire lugs going to this grounding spot ( G203 ). Check for corrosion, broken wire or just plain loose connections.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Coby- Thank you for providing me the diagram. I checked the G203 ground out and the wiring looked good. There were no breaks, corrosion or loose wires. After much frustration, I finally found the cause of the fan blower motor not running. I figured it had to be in the wiring somewhere so I started taking wiring harness clips apart to see if there was a loose or broken wire in the clip. Well, behind the glove box was a wiring harness clipped together in which I was not able to separate no matter how hard I tried. While at the auto parts store, one guy told me that the wires probably melted together inside the clip which is why I probably can't get the clip apart. I cut the wiring close to the clip and used a wire fastener (connector) to secure the brown to brown and black to black wires, etc matching them up and securing them together and Viola.... the fan works. I broke open the clip and I could see where the wires were fried, hence not making a good connection. I was going to post a picture of the clip/ wiring but couldn't figure out how to do it. I do appreciate all the ideas and suggestion because they gave me a starting point especially when it was determined it was probably a ground wire since all the parts I replaced didn't resolve the problem. Thank you to all that replied. Jos mother :o)

Last edited by Hunter032812; 01-27-2018 at 07:31 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Coby 7- If you see this, thank you again. After much work, we got the blower motor running and then my daughter's Cobalt threw out a P0013 and when I Googled it for information, it brought me to this forum when you provided answers to esox07 regarding the same issue. I read all the threads and removed the part, cleaned the inside of the hole and the part off very good, reinstall the part, cleared the code and the engine light went off. Thank you so much for sharing your wealth of knowledge with Cobalts. I really appreciate it. Jo's mother.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Your welcomed!!! Just here to help people save money from the Stealers.
Thogan3 likes this.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode