"Ding Ding" Security Light, Wonky Gauges, Power Steering - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

"Ding Ding" Security Light, Wonky Gauges, Power Steering

I have felt compelled to tell others in this forum for a possible solution to Cobalt owners with following symptoms: while driving, the dreaded “ding ding” sound followed by security light coming on dash, gauges go wonky (speedo, fuel and rpms bounce to zero and back) Power Steering light may come on, sometimes jerky auto transmission shifting, sometimes loss of Power Steering and/or car going into Limp Mode.

My daughter has had her 2008 Cobalt Coupe for less than a year, we bought it used with about 110K miles on it. I have been troubleshooting trying to fix this issue since around the time she got it, like many of you, to no avail. I have spent hours researching on the internet (thank you to all of you Cobalt Warriors who have been hounding this too, with all your great info) as well as inspecting, cleaning contacts, looking for possible reasons for an electrical short - as many have found the fault codes almost always show loss of communication codes, but are unable to find the problem.
This may not be the only reason this happens, but I’m fairly certain this is why it was happening to my daughter’s car. Please check the following on your car to see if it has the same thing:

1) Inspect Oil Pressure Sending Unit for oily residue on outside (I know, you’re saying “what? why?”)
2) Inspect Connectors to modules, lower PCM especially, but TCM and upper PCM too, for any brownish oil residue on connectors or on the modules themselves – where pins are and around inside edges of modules, right where the connectors attach.

I believe what is happening, and bear with me…is that the Engine Oil Pressure Sensor begins to leak (fail)…and then oil from your engine is expelled under very light pressure out the Engine Oil Pressure Sensor …where it doesn’t fall below by gravity like you would expect…it travels like an alien species along the sensor wire and wire harness, even uphill, and around harness bends, until it makes its way to the module…in my case, the PCM. I believe it is the oil in the connectors making contact with the pins or the module itself to create an intermittent and temporary short, which makes you experience all the crazy Cobalt symptoms described above.

I finally came across the solution after Googling “oil in PCM”, and found other people who found oil in their PCM…These cars were not Cobalts or even GM cars, which one would normally discount as not being applicable. But if you read their threads below, you will see that they maintain that oil can travel from a leaking Engine Oil Pressure Sensor or a leaking Power Steering sensor, along harness wires to reach the PCM…they have similar experiences with the their cars’ gauges going haywire and transmissions not working correctly. See these threads:

Dodge Neon: Read Moderator Chris Barrett’s solution (he also noted it usually happens with weather proof (sealed) connectors..Maybe it is the suction created by the end connector seal to cause the oil to run along the wire:

https://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=245507

Dodge Durango: read Getpaidct’s solution (albeit for Power Steering, but I believe uses the same kind of pressure sensor):

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...connector.html

Note: If your Engine Oil Pressure Sensor looks suspect and is oily, you may not yet notice any oil in the PCM module, connector area…I didn’t the first time I inspected it…I originally cleaned the connector and module/pins with CRC electrical contact cleaner spray, which seemed to help the problem go away for a few months. But the second time I inspected the connection, there was oil in there…I couldn’t figure out how oil was getting in there, as the contact spray should have completely evaporated, and it was just a wire harness ending with a plastic connector (with female connectors for pins) and the module, which was sealed in aluminum, with just copper pins sticking out of the module.

TO FIX: disconnect positive and negative battery terminals. Replace leaking Engine Oil Pressure Sensor, located on the engine block, down low, facing the right center of the front bumper (car needs to be raised to gain access from below) . Remove PCM and TCM module connectors. Remove outer black plastic cover of connectors. Generously spray harness wires near connector and both sides of connectors, where wires go into connector and the outer female leads with Isopropyl alcohol, something to cut through and clean off the oil. Use compressed air to blow out any remaining alcohol from both sides of the connector. Also clean pins and connector area on modules the same way. When confident everything is completely dry, re-attach connectors to modules. Before connecting battery, touch both negative and positive battery leads together for at least 15 seconds, to clear any residual stored codes. Re-attach positive battery lead, then negative lead. Hopefully your Cobalt electric gremlin has been exorcised forever, like mine!

If this is not the answer for your Cobalt troubles, check for possible wire breaks on the G105 ground bolted on the outer transmission, which is located on the top side of the transmission facing the front bumper. There was a moderator on CarGurus who found a stress break on his G105 grounded wires, which was causing the same symptoms and was resolved when the grounded wires were fixed appropriately. The picture of his ground did not include a larger ground strap, which my daughter’s car had, that looks original. My guess is that GM added the extra strap to the 2008 model, after finding the weakness or stress failure of the ground in the 2007 and earlier models. Some Cobalt owners have said their troubles were fixed after the dealer found a break in a wire underneath the car, and I’m guessing this is where it was, as I was not able to find any other possible wires to check, outside of the wires going through the firewall to the engine compartment.

Also, one of the first things I did, and still have, was to ground the TCM to the car body left strut, like many people have recommended, although it didn’t solve my problems like it did for others. Prior to us buying, my daughter’s car had the ignition recall fix and the power steering motor recall fix. Just a few weeks ago, we went to the dealer who said the Power Steering module/column needed replaced, which the dealer said was the problem for all the above symptoms, but it fixed it for only a few days before returning. I spent many hours troubleshooting after it started acting up again and I finally got this solution!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Let us know if it comes back, then I'll put in my 2¢.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

will do! but if it never comes back, which I'm definitely hoping it never ever does, I'll never get to hear your two cents :(

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Come back in two weeks and report that all's good.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

its been over 3 weeks since i had the leaking Engine Oil Pressure Sensor replaced and vigorously cleaned all the wires leading into the PCM connector, as well as the PCM module from any oily residue...I am VERY HAPPY to report that the car has not had one single dashboard light or any of the symptoms described above!!! It's finally running as a safe and reliable car again!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 08:39 PM
Prospect

i had this, but no leaking oil sensor afaik.
i did solve it though, which solution was the actual solution idk. been almost a year and no more crazy dash display, no more random gage needle movement, no engine codes, no more weird driving behaviors. all these issues were random

1. fix ground wires connected under coolant reservoir, couldnt actually reach them so i used a long screw driver and mashed the connector to make better contact at the connection. it looked really crusty

2. pulled the 15 amp bcm fuse in center console area and replaced w/new one, could of cleaned the fuse pins but i had a new one on hand.

3. cleaned ground wire under drivers side headlight.

4. reseated all pcm/ecu/tcm/bcm connectors from engine compartment and center dash and reseated the power steering connector from under dash.

5. added a ground from tcm to frame. seems to be a common fix, first thing i did but it had no effect, then one day i did all of the above and issues never returned

Last edited by vincom; 01-22-2018 at 08:47 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

for what its worth, I did every one of the things you listed, and still had all the the random things going on

...but car is still working great after replacing leakiing Engine Oil Pressure Sensor and then rigorously cleaning all the slightly oiled residue off the PCM and PCM connector/wires!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 05:41 PM
Newcomer

Hi guys !! I had the same problem with my Cobalt 2005. I have been driving this car for almost 10 years. This thread helped me a lot. My problem now is front brakes. I have done everything and they keep getting locked and hot after 30 minutes driving. I changed calipers, rotors, wheel bearing and hub assembly (ABS included), hoses. I don't know what else to do. Any idea? Thanks in advance !!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 06:03 PM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by aserpa69 View Post
Hi guys !! I had the same problem with my Cobalt 2005. I have been driving this car for almost 10 years. This thread helped me a lot. My problem now is front brakes. I have done everything and they keep getting locked and hot after 30 minutes driving. I changed calipers, rotors, wheel bearing and hub assembly (ABS included), hoses. I don't know what else to do. Any idea? Thanks in advance !!
did u do a brake flush, you didnt mention the master cylinder, replacing it is a pia as u have to remove the fuse box, but not that hard of a job

fuse box removal
https://youtu.be/6dPUin2XJi8

master cylinder and brake booster removal
https://youtu.be/jJu4Mp-OTNw

Last edited by vincom; 07-06-2018 at 06:05 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 06:38 AM
Newcomer

Yes I did brake flush, it was the first thing. Master cylinder I was hoping not to take care of it. Booster has vacuum, I did the pedal test. Thanks Vincom !! I will keep you posted !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode