Oil/Water with Yellow Sludge Coming Through PCV Valve on Valve Cover on a 2.2 06 LT - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
Oil/Water with Yellow Sludge Coming Through PCV Valve on Valve Cover on a 2.2 06 LT

I have been having a problem with my cobalt for several years where the pcv valve is filling the tube that goes from that to the intake up with sludge that seems to be a mix of water (most likely condensation) and some oil. I have since put in a Oil catch can to hopefully collect most of the sludge from reentering the intake and causing problems. The catch can seems to fill almost every month with a lot of watery yellow sludge.

Would anyone know of such an issue or what could be the culprit ? I thought it was my valve cover inlet or gaskets on that and changed the valve cover and gaskets a few months ago but still the same problem.

Let me know if you have any ideas on what could be the cause.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 03:41 AM
Newcomer

I am no mechanic but this happened a few years back on my Ford Festiva. It turned out i had a small crack in the engine. Not that is your problem, but anytime your oil and water mixed to that degree its not good.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
Yeah I think there is some sort of crack somewhere as well because people I spoke to were asking if it could be coolant and to check my levels. My coolant levels were fine so I don't think it was that but rather a crack or space somewhere that air and condensation are getting in from. Hard to really diagnose it because there's no fluid leaking but just constant amount of this gunk coming from that pcv valve. I saw another couple forums claiming it to be from short trips and not letting the engine really warm up but I don't think thats the case because I drive pretty much an hour to work and a hour back most days.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 06:32 PM
Contributor

California Smog Car?

BC
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 04:39 AM
Forum Regular

My o6 cobalt does not have a PCV valve

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
Yes, I have the air pump on it through the headers and intake. The headers I changed out awhile back and now just have the air pump feeding the air intake system I installed (K&N Typhoon).
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 07:03 PM
Contributor

Might want to check that air pump I believe there was a TSB about water condensing in the engine due to pump problems.
The water in the engine lead to GM eating quite a few engines during the 5 yr/100k mile warranty.

Not all 06 cobalts have that extra smog pump.

BC

Last edited by 1966tbird; 02-23-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode